I can relishes, preserves, sauces and a wide variety of foods, but now I am dehydrating more and more. It is easy and the products keeps good food quality for three years in a bag or jar or seven years vacuum packed! Fresh grated horseradish with just white vinegar and salt is hard to beat and keeps for weeks in the fridge. Candied jalapenos, pickled beets, hot sauces, cucumber pickles, blueberry preserves, plum sauce for eggrolls, tomato sauces and much more every year get put away here. Including homebrew beers and wine. You can't buy your favorite home recipes in the store usually and they are seldom as good as your own!

Absolutely gorgeous braid! I only grow hard neck as that’s what I’ve heard is best for my area, so I use string to make little bouquet-like structures, and hang them in a cabinet in my insulated garage. It usually stays between 40-55 degrees until it gets warm in the spring, so the garlic, onions & squash last pretty well in the cabinets out there. Once we get our leaky basement fixed, I want to try to have it function more as a root cellar. Waiting on the estimate…very anxious to get the water to stop creeping in after it rains.
Garlic loves compost! and growing lettuce between a double row of garlic will keep the weeds down between the garlic and thrive there! Softneck does indeed keep better for me and I keep it braided or loose in a wire basket in my kitchen with no problem for it lasting through the winter until late May or early June here. I use hardneck garlic first if I grow it, as I do some years, along with the softneck types. It tends to not keep but a few months or so, without shriveling and drying out for me.

Back
Top Bottom