Update 29/07/09: 6 weeks old (p. 3)

Lotje

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Flemish Ardennes, Belgium
Awwww they're really so darn cute, I could watch them forever!
love.gif
The frizzles clearly develop fastest, while the "normal feathered one" is slowest developing.

White frizzle (?) Cochin bantam chick
IMG_7402-border.jpg

IMG_7458-border.jpg

Lavender Cochin bantam chick
IMG_7423-border.jpg

IMG_7455-border.jpg

Splash (yay!
wee.gif
) frizzle (?) Cochin bantam chick
IMG_7450-border-1.jpg

IMG_7430-border.jpg

IMG_7425-border.jpg

IMG_7428-border.jpg

no-idea-what-colour frizzle (definitely!) Cochin bantam chick
IMG_7412-border.jpg

IMG_7414-border.jpg

IMG_7444-border.jpg

Mommy headshot, she's doing a great job!
IMG_7439-border.jpg

Last edited:
Since yesterday, they're two weeks old so I had to take some pictures (you know, for the logbook
lol.png
). Due to the heat (38°C!) I wasn't really in the mood for it and neither where the chicks, they're so scared of me. I'm not happy about the pictures but they'll have to do.
roll.png

I'm noticing a very big difference between our different little flocks. My other hens are much tamer and passed it on to their children. This one on the opposite has always been very wild, scared of people and so are her chicks. I'll be glad when she stops playing mommy..
barnie.gif
so I can finally get these babies tame!

Funny how the frizzles develop so much faster! I'm hoping the splash or the lavender chick is a girl..
fl.gif
I'd really love to keep one or both of them.

IMG_7794-border.jpg

IMG_7795-border.jpg

IMG_7797-border.jpg

IMG_7811-border.jpg

IMG_7816-border.jpg

IMG_7823-border.jpg

IMG_7830-border.jpg

IMG_7833-border.jpg

IMG_7837-border.jpg

IMG_7840-border.jpg

Quote:
You don't have to agree of course, every chicken mommy believes her chicks are the cutest..
big_smile.png

They turned three weeks old today, time for an update! I know I've said it before, but them frizzles develop so much faster than non-frizzles! Really remarkable.

I'm afraid the lavender chick is a roo... he already has a red comb and is only three weeks old!
sad.png
Oh well, I'll just keep praying for the splash chick..
fl.gif

IMG_8172-border.jpg

Check-out those cute white feathers on her/his back.
smile.png

IMG_8181-border.jpg

IMG_8186-border.jpg

IMG_8205-border.jpg

IMG_8212-border.jpg

Mommy with her kiddies
IMG_8218-border.jpg

Food!
IMG_8229-border.jpg

And food again..
big_smile.png

IMG_8238-border.jpg

Ballet-chickie
IMG_8253-border.jpg

Yes you my little roo!
IMG_8266-border.jpg

Strike a pose
cool.png

IMG_8272-border.jpg

This one has been rolling in the mud
roll.png

IMG_8280-border.jpg

IMG_8288-border.jpg

IMG_8293-border.jpg

IMG_8197-border.jpg

This is one of our other "litters", thought they deserved a little spot here too since they turned five weeks also today.
smile.png

No. 1
IMG_8311-border.jpg

No. 2
IMG_8327-border.jpg

Two roosters I'm afraid..
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Well thank you! They're made with a Canon EOS 400D (in America this model has a different name: Rebel XTi) and with a 50mm f1.8 lens. That's a standard lens, doesn't zoom in or out and it's practically the same distance from your object as looking at that object with your bare eyes. Which means I have to get REALLY close to make a shot..
lol.png
But it's a fast, low-light lens with beautiful colours and sharp results, I love it! Oh, I almost forgot to mention that it's really cheap! I'd highly recommend it.
smile.png

En natuurlijk spreek ik Nederlands!
big_smile.png
(I just said I - of course - speak dutch
smile.png
) It's my mother language.

Those are the cutest chicks and GREAT photos!!!

You must be a professional, I can never get my camera to even stay still when I take pics of my birds. lOL!

Enjoy those babies!
lol.png

I have what looks like a Lavender Splash Cochin Bantam. It is just so cuge. All fluffy. It's tail feathers looks like a bunny tail and it had a mohawk but now has feathers growing in that are a darker lavender. Three are spots of darker lavender feathers coming in around its neck. It is just sooooo cute. I wish I had a pic to show you. I really need to get a recent pic of that one.

How do you tell a pullet from a roo in bantams? I have 3 all together that are around 3 and 4 weeks old. I can usually tell with the bigger chickens by this time but I have no idea with these guys. None of them have much of a comb and what is there isn't red.

Quote:
Just an amateur, but thanks!
big_smile.png
If you have a compact camera, I'd suggest you to raise your ISO, your pictures will no longer be blurry. Don't put it too high though, that will create "noise" (speckles on your pictures).

Off topic: We've got a Dalmatian too, they're just the greatest dogs...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, you do need to get a pic of that one!!!
big_smile.png
I'm very curious!

With my other chicks I pretty much knew their genders at 4 weeks, those little things under their beak (how do you call them in English?) started to show some redness. By now I'm very sure I've go 2 boys and 2 girls, the difference is very noticeable. They're turning six weeks old this Saturday.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just an amateur, but thanks!
big_smile.png
If you have a compact camera, I'd suggest you to raise your ISO, your pictures will no longer be blurry. Don't put it too high though, that will create "noise" (speckles on your pictures).

Off topic: We've got a Dalmatian too, they're just the greatest dogs...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, you do need to get a pic of that one!!!
big_smile.png
I'm very curious!

With my other chicks I pretty much knew their genders at 4 weeks, those little things under their beak (how do you call them in English?) started to show some redness. By now I'm very sure I've go 2 boys and 2 girls, the difference is very noticeable. They're turning six weeks old this Saturday.

That thing under their beak is called a waddle. Mine don't have any. I have a pic of when it was a week old but the feathers wheren't in yet and the pic ins't very good. I'll post it in a minute, I have to go to photobucket and get it and my intenet is slow.

I found it, it's the little one of course.
chicksfromDonLockhart.jpg

See the fluffy tail? is is even fluffier now and the whole chick is just fluffy. That may be what it's name is. I'll try to get a pic today.

Last edited:
You have the cutest little chicks!
love.gif

I'm giggling the entire time I'm scrolling through your pictures.
I do hope you get them tame, because you know that dip in your shoulder between your clavicle and neck muscle? God put them there for cute little chicks like yours to sit in and peep!

Back
Top Bottom