Update: crop surgery with graphic photos

Pics
:thumbsup... I don't use hay. Maybe that's why I haven't had an issue? The "Knuckleheads", I affectionately call them, would have given me this problem for sure!! They eat the pine shavings I use when I clean their coop :barnie
Pine shavings, especially the mini stuff, can cause crop impaction, too. There was a thread just last week here where shavings were the cause of impaction. That hen appeared to have a compulsion to eat them (pica) and I recommended psyllium (Metamusil) to try adding to her food as both a substitute and a preventative. Keep close watch on your hens if you suspect they are eating more than just a flake or two every so often and/or switch to larger flakes.

Pine shavings, especially the mini stuff, can cause crop impaction, too. There was a thread just last week here where shavings were the cause of impaction. That hen appeared to have a compulsion to eat them (pica) and I recommended psyllium (Metamusil) to try adding to her food as both a substitute and a preventative. Keep close watch on your hens if you suspect they are eating more than just a flake or two every so often and/or switch to larger flakes.

My Easter Egger is a compulsive pine shaving eater and I use the large flakes (haven't ever purchased the mini flakes as they have always made me nervous) but she picks and digs through to find the smaller pieces. I got some of the pellet pine bedding to use under pine shavings in my ducks house. I was low on the large flake shavings and needed to stretch what I had between 2 henhouse, so I decided to supplement with the pellets. I was nervous at first and won't use it again, but I knew Amelia would probably gobble up some pellets, but she didn't. Of course she picked them up over and over but after careful examination, she moved on back to the flakes. I worry that I won't get that lucky if I put a lot of pellet bedding in her henhouse, so I haven't tried again. She'll be starting unsweetened Metamucil in the morning. Anxious to see continued improvements with her as I believe she's going to be an amazing hen, as far as personality goes.

Thanks to @azygous

Good Morning everyone! Wow the support on here has been incredible you guys all really gave me the confidence I needed to be the best chicken mom I could! :hugs:hugsRegina seems to be doing ok this morning, she's alert but a little quiet I can only assume she is sore and tired. @azygous I will post a picture of her incision it doesn't look to bad to me, the colour of the glue mixed with the colour of the betadine make it look like a yucky colour, let me know what you think. Her crop looks a little swollen but very small and empty @micstrachan I was able to find disposable sterile scalpels at my feed store, my wife Alex is a denturist so she has all kinds of little instruments to assist her in making dentures, probably none of which are meant for chicken surgery lol so she disinfected what she thought might be useful and man they were! Funnily enough a couple months ago I ordered the legit Vet tissue bond glue because one of my dogs at one point had cut himself and I thought It would be great to have on hand, and man that stuff is incredible i'm not sure how it compares to regular super glue but I was super impressed by it, it came with little tips that allow you to be super precise ! So moving forward today, what should I be giving her? Im boiling and egg for her now and she is drinking some soy milk, do I continue with the miconazole and probiotic today already? because it was so sour when I opened her up I want to make sure we get rid of any yeast but I don't want to over due it the day after surgery? Thanks to everyone again :fl hoping my cutie makes a full recovery!

Back
Top Bottom