UPDATE IN COMMENTS! Help! Wheezing hen after butt feather trimming!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsAuberry00, May 23, 2019.

1. MrsAuberry00

MrsAuberry00 Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My Coop
    After trimming the butt feathers of my chicken, she began wheezing. On exhale it sounded wet and mucousy, and her mouth was open widely. I thought perhaps she had overheated so I placed her in some water to cool her down. She wouldn't stand at first, but now she's walking around and seems to be okay. I tried to upload a video but apparently it was too long. She's not very trusting of me at the moment and won't let me get too close.

Sequel likes this.
  2. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

Upload to youtube and post a link. Sorry about your hen I hope someone can help you!

3. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    so she's walking fine, but still wheezing? are you sure this started only after feather clipping and not before?

Sequel likes this.
  4. MrsAuberry00

MrsAuberry00 Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My Coop
    Yes, it was after. She seems to be fine now... I believe it was overheating because my husband didn't want "Chicken germs" on him and insisted on having a towel around her in 80+ degree humid weather. JERK!

Sequel likes this.
  5. MrsAuberry00

MrsAuberry00 Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My Coop
    UPDATE: She walked around a bit and then started clucking and drinking water. I'll keep an eye on her, but I think she's fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: