UPDATE:More pictures of Babies in The Eddybator

Thanks twigg I will show that to dh when he gets home. What if you don't get to turn eggs but once or twice a day for a couple of days? Will they be ok?

Awesome looking bator! I think you will probably have a pretty good hatch. Think a hen doesnt keep the same temp all the time. I think eggs and chicks are a lot hardier than people think. If you were trying to go for a really good hatch then constant temps are what you need to shoot for but the range you have for a homemade bator should hatch you out some biddies!
big_smile.png

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

We must be doing something right cause dh couldn't wait till tomorrow and my dad was here so we candled
clap.gif
We saw veins
clap.gif
Wish I had a picture cause us three were as excited as a little kid in a candy store!
love.gif

ep.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif

It's working! It's working! I got to see veins and best of all I got to see a baby moving. I am so excited and confused but the
D.gif
is the best and it puts the confused at ease a little. This is our very first time to try to hatch our own so we don't know what we are doing. Some eggs we just don't know what we are looking at other than an egg
lol.png
I tried to take pictures so yall could see them and tell me if I should leave them alone or discard. It's only day 7 and I'm ready to see them babies. Is it right for me to think that some are slower than others to develop cause of our temp problem earlier? Any advice would be greatly welcomed and appreiciated! I just had to share cause I'm so happy and if I mispelled or don't make sense it's cause I'm still
wee.gif

Last edited:
What if you don't get to turn eggs but once or twice a day for a couple of days? Will they be ok?

Yes, they should be fine.​

How does that turner work? I would like to make one, it seems simple enough. Last hatch I did I had to turn about 50 eggs individually..lol..
roll.png

Thanks,
-Kim

Wolf-Kim In the first picture look to the bottom left and you will see red&white pvc with a black handle on it. The pvc pipe goes all the way through the bator and we just turn that handle. The crate the eggs are in is 1x4 dh split to fit a 2 1/2 dz egg carton. We got the idea from MissPrissy's https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510 #71 by Speckledhen.

Edited cause I can't get links to post in here right. Sorry

Last edited:
You know, I've never been able to get a water heater thermostat to work. We've tried in two different homemade bators; the first time, we gave up, bought a wafer and installed it (Fridge-a-Bator) and it works great. We're currently trying to make a hatcher from a 48 qt cooler and again, cannot get that dang WH thermo to work. The temps go from 95 to 103. Just won't regulate!
barnie.gif
I think it must be just luck if you get one that has a tighter range. I'm about to spend $16 on another thermostat at the feedstore just to be done with it!

Back
Top Bottom