UPDATE! Neighbor's roo is beating up my roos! Need advise. Pix

i understand your problem and feel your pain. EXACT same problem with neighbor's dogs. killed all of my chickens. EVERY LAST ONE! i've warned them many times that the dogs will be shot. Police won't help, and we have NO ANIMAL CONTROL WHAT-SO-EVER. i've "removed" a few animals already with several complaints, but the cops just tell them that it's the law.

it may cause a fuss, as the same thing happened LAST year. i posted a picture on a fan-art archive with my feelings on the matter. got a wide variety of opinions.
http://fanart.lionking.org/piccomments.cgi?Acidmouth+Damndogs.jpg

here in Alaska, this is the law on such occasions. maybe check your local law on such things.
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusakst03_55_030.htm

i use a .22 chipmunk youth rifle with .22 shorts /w hollow point. it makes more of a soft "peh" noise than the sharp, loud "PAP!" of most .22 rifles.

Last edited:
I agree with a few of the posters, It comes down to - you can only control YOUR property. The dogs & neighboring rooster are the same as any wild animal that comes onto your property. You are responsible to protect your animals on your property. I have 20 plus acres here & my chickens can NOT free-range, it is way to dangerous for them. I have a couple covered runs outside, plus 3 inside pens (inside a large shed) the birds are content, healthy, & most of all - SAFE!

Most of the time i do remind ppl that roosters taste like chicken. However from what i have read in your post it would be great if maybe you could help the girl build a pen to hold the roo nothing to great just something to do the job that may go a long way to help the kids.

I am so sorry for everything you and your poor roo are going through. Humans behaving irresponsibly is the source of most of our problems in this world and you are on the receiving end of that right now, big time. w
hugs.gif

Until this is resolved your poor babies are going to have to be in lockdown in your runs. You may even have to place problem neighbor roo in a separate run/house or get some volunteers to make such a place on your neighbor's property (but will they even bother to feed him?) - I don't say any of this lightly as I know it's a lot of work and that YOU shouldn't have to be doing it. Their is an epidemic of humans behaving irresponsibly and unfortunately many of them are breeding
sad.png

You already know this and are no doubt tending to it, but your roo needs peace and quiet and healing time and possibly meds. I hope he will be alright.

I really feel for you - hang in there
hugs.gif

JJ

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing can a cheap pen be put together for this roo? I know it would cost you time and money but It might be the simplest way to go.

Personally I would shoot the roo but it would be nicer to just control it from leaving its yard.

Don't put up with this situation!
Just think if it was somebody's prized dog, or parrot that got hurt -- you would be up in arms. Just because it's a "chicken" doesn't mean that kind of severe injury should be tolerated.

maybe you can post on freecycle or craigs list to get the supplies needed for a run for the roo...if not...paint ball gun, or hose...

(i like the SSS route personally but then again I dont have to live next to them)

You are much too kind.

If it were me the rooster would be dead and I would catch the dogs and take them to the pound. It's that simple for me.
I have dealt with these type of people numerous times in my life.
The sad fact is they don't care and they never will so I just take matters into my own hands. You can talk to them until you are blue in the face and it will do no good.
My attitude is the neighbors won't take care of business I will.
Some might say it is cruel but I have a responsibility to protect my animals and I take that responsibility seriously.

You can either be right, and raise hell because animals are coming into your yard, and have dead animals over and over, or you can be pro-active, fence your property, and protect your animals. I have 10 acres, and I fenced every perimeter foot of it. Not only that, but the chickens are behind chain link fencing, and only come out when Im home. My dogs dont go out unless Im home and with them, even with the fencing. I would rather have my animals protected as well as I can, rather than be right.

Back
Top Bottom