UPDATE! Neighbor's roo is beating up my roos! Need advise. Pix

hard as it sounds, your probably gonna have to fence your yard. Have a survey done, Probably cost but you will know where the property line is(and drive a stake down and fill with concrete so it can't be moved)If you have to buy a roll of fencing each payday and put it up until everything is fenced in. If neighbors say anything about fencing. be sugar sweet, your fencing to keep your animals in since you don't want them bothering other people.Try craigs list they may have some free fencing. or list on there that you need fencing and will come and take down and remove. If it old it's amazing what some paint will do. good luck marrie

Oh my God, your roo looks awful. Since you have posted asking for advice, mine is to please, please fence your animals so they do not continue to suffer. When we keep animals we are obliged to protect them!

Good luck.

Please don't think I'm careless or irresponsible. I do know it's my responsibility to fence my property, and it is fenced. Part of it is wood rail fence, part is field fence, and some is wood rail AND field fence nailed to it. but those little dogs can still get through it and the rooster flies over. I can't afford to put up anything else. It's 3.5 acres! Here are some pics. This run has both wood and wire, and I even put up 2 ft high 1x2 welded wire at the very bottom across the front side of it to keep the little dogs out, but haven't had the money to go across the back side yet.

Of course, their rooster can fly over!

Here is also a pic of inside the coop. The wire is concreted into the groud around it. The open back is tough wire in summer and covered with plywood in winter.

I'm building another run right now with 6 foot tall 2X4 welded wire, and nailing it to the wood cattle run that goes behind my barn, but I haven't gotten one side finished and the door up yet.

My ex lost his job in December and his last few child support checks have been very late. That's why I haven't been able to get the last few 2x4's I need and a door. I'm just short right now. I AM TAKING ACTION AND DOING MY PART. I just needed advise in the meantime. I have 3 kids and can only do so much.

The run will attach to each end of the barn, and I plan on putting a tarp or wire over the top as well.

If you can think of anything else I need to do, just tell me. I'm all ears and will do all I can to protect my birds.

By the way, I've lived here for 10 years. This is just now coming to a head because the neighbors tore down their old dog pen about a month or two ago to build a bigger better one since they got a couple more dogs, but haven't built it. Who does that??? I know they have the wire, because they drove it across my yard with the 4 wheeler.

As far as helping the girl build a pen, last fall her Aunt and Grandma said she should kill the rooster since they had no way to keep him up, and since no one wanted him. Of course she didn't want to kill him, so I offered to let her use the shed end of my barn to house him in, if they would buy the wire to close it in. She said she would buy it and never did. I even gave them my old dog house last year when I got a new one for my big dog. I've been as nice and helpful a neighbor as I could possibly be.

Anyway, I am keeping my animals locked up in the coop when I'm not home. They are only out under my watch, but I'm just sick and tired of chasing their animals home and stressed out from getting barked at.

img47052me7.jpg

img58396.jpg

I think you are being a good chicken mom. I thought they had no protection at all. You may just need to set up a trap, catch the critters, and take them to animal control, and be done with it.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Having to pay to get the animals back is usually enough for people to realize they need to get them confined or you'll continue to catch them and they'll have to pay again. Doesn't take too many times for people to either fix the problem or not have animals at all!

Back
Top Bottom