*UPDATE* No new feathers after molt!*pic heavy

Aframechickens191

Chirping
9 Years
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
My Poor hens have been like this for awhile, and i am fed up with them being like this! They went through a molt stage and after 2 months they should have nice new feathers, but they do not! Heres the info I can provide:

~I dont think this is a viral/contagious illness, because my bantams are very close by and all of them are happy and healthy
~I feed these hens a mixture of cracked corn and 17% protein laying feed. they get greens and scrap veggies almost daily.
~the rooster was partially to blame, I know, due to the spurs tearing up new feathers
~I have separated said roo so the girls can have a break
hmm.png
hope it helps
~They are on a sand floor with fresh straw every few days and tree limb roosts.
~I have seen mites on a few but they take sand baths when it is dry and hot and dont scratch a whole lot
~Some, but not all of them have diahrrea but all are eating normally
~The dominant hens have more feathers and pick off new growth of the lesser hens
somad.gif

~the most vulnerable and sad looking ones are my gold comets, except for one who has all her feathers...
hmm.png

~they seem to not want vent feathers;they pick those off themselves
hu.gif

~All are laying on a regular basis! (Now what the @#$%?????)
~One had a prolapsed vent, but keeps herself clean and acts normal, still lays eggs.
~Another is recovering from mild Bumblefoot, also lays normally.

Is cannibalizing feathers the main problem here? what can I do to stop it? i mean without culling or getting rid of any...i still love my girls thats why I desperately need help!
sad.png

The pics:
Group just got a watermelon
58371_gedc0853.jpg
[/img]
A 1.5 yo RIR
58371_gedc0854.jpg
[/img]
One of the 3 decent looking ones; a SLW
58371_gedc0852.jpg
[/img]
Poor Gold Comet; the worst off
58371_gedc0849.jpg
[/img]
View of the vents
58371_gedc0843.jpg
[/img]
view of their backs
58371_gedc0837.jpg
[/img]
a few more hens...
58371_gedc0835.jpg
[/img]

58371_gedc0829.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Just saw chickens with this same exact problem at our local zoo...the one poor little roo was running around totally NAKED!!!
ep.gif
Last year when we were there these same chickens looked totally healthy and normal. They had posted a sign stating that the chickens were under vetenary care. I'd have a vet check them out...find one that is familiar with livestock. Blessings, Keri

Do they free range or are they in a run? If they are in a run how big is it and how many chickens are there? Because of the red skin, it looks like feather picking to me. could be because of overcrowding or some kind of nutritional deficiency.

I would love to have a vet see them, but theres a few small problems:
I am 17 and my parents take care of all the bills bc i have yet to find a job. they dont want to "waste money" on their DD's "stupid chickens" who were her FFA project before the school administaration cut the entire Ag./ FFA program bc the school revolves around sports and needed something to "cut costs" in the bad economy. Hence my signature.

Also, it is suprisingly difficult to get ahold of a vet in NW OH even though we have extremely large amounts of livestock here...the bill for a home visit would be sky high and in my household its viewed as too much of a financial risk if I were to be told that I needed a bunch of help for the flock. It hurts a lot but I must abide by my parents' wishes. thats why I love the BYC so much; theres priceless help here thats free and told by people with experience!

Quote:
Yes a few do have mites but I was not sure what to use on them. My neighbors have used Sevindust but I am leery about it ive heard it has a bad reputation for affecting other animals...
hmm.png

Quote:
We keep them in the area where our old swimming pool used to be. Its circular about 20 ft by 20 ft with the nesting boxes and roost section adding some space, sticking out the sides of the "circle" and i have 17 hens 1 roo usually. I have already downsized, culling 2 extra roos and 3 hens, and I often have 1 or 2 separated to see if their feathers might grow in. I did this with one and she looked great after she went back in. She is the RIR in one of the group pics that has most of her feathers...

Back
Top Bottom