Update on GROUNDS Coffee Ground Bedding for your coop!

Pics
It’s stupid expensive! I buy it by the 1 gallon jug I think and it’s like $28, but it’s the only thing I can find near me in NS that did what I needed it to without being too dusty like the AG lime

There is a thread somewhere that I recently read that was discussing the lack of availability of Sweet PDZ in Canada and they mentioned some other product that you could get. @aart do you know what the product is?

There is a thread somewhere that I recently read that was discussing the lack of availability of Sweet PDZ in Canada and they mentioned some other product that you could get. @aart do you know what the product is?
Apparently there was a zeolite product supposed to be coming out of BC but I couldn’t find anything on it.

I don't know of any zeolite available in Canada.
I know someone found some zeolite in the UK in the gardening realm as a soil additive.

I had used fresh coop but felt it was way too pricey to use in the amounts I needed.
It’s stupid expensive! I buy it by the 1 gallon jug I think and it’s like $28,
Well, it's marketed at chickens, and OMRI, so of course it's stupid expensive.
Plus it's not near as good as granulated zeolite.
https://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/fresh-coop-odor-control/
" Food Chemical Codex Grade Diatomaceous Earth with Calcium Montmorillonite and non-GMO Citric Acid to eliminate harmful ammonia levels, control odors and absorb moisture in your backyard chicken coop. "

Well, it's marketed at chickens, and OMRI, so of course it's stupid expensive.
Plus it's not near as good as granulated zeolite.
https://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/fresh-coop-odor-control/
" Food Chemical Codex Grade Diatomaceous Earth with Calcium Montmorillonite and non-GMO Citric Acid to eliminate harmful ammonia levels, control odors and absorb moisture in your backyard chicken coop. "
Well it’s all I could get so that what I currently use. But I am definitely going to look into getting some coffee grounds!

No one answers if coffee grounds are really safe. I know....nice smell for a time and all, but if the chicks/chickens eat it....does the caffeine cause troubles for them? I am not sold on this.....Can someone with knowledge answer if it is safe for the birds?

No one answers if coffee grounds are really safe. I know....nice smell for a time and all, but if the chicks/chickens eat it....does the caffeine cause troubles for them? I am not sold on this.....Can someone with knowledge answer if it is safe for the birds?
Haha we were thinking the same thing at the same time!

This post is from an article on this site:
1. Caffeine

Believe it or not, chickens cannot have caffeine! Let me explain why. When caffeine is drank, it is immediately absorbed. In humans, it stimulates the nervous system, causing them to "wake up" and have more energy. However, because chickens are so small, when they have caffeine, it is far too concentrated for them. This results in hyperactivity, increased heartbeat, damaged kidneys because of too concentrated diuretic properties, and most commonly--seizures. However, I suppose if you heavily diluted a caffeinated drink, they might be okay with it. So, do not give your chickens coffee, green tea, black tea, or any other caffeinated drinks. Even though it is tempting to give your feathery friend a little sip of "joe," it must be avoided at all cost.

Tentatively I will say this is a very doable venture! I need a lot more than what they gave me though so I’ll try a daily collection and if it’s not too much to dry and store it I may just start doing it continuously to share with neighbors or tossing extra in the garden.

There is a local company that sells a mushroom growing kit that uses used coffee grounds that they collect from Peets and other coffee shops as the substrate for the mushrooms. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. If you really want to get into the coffee grounds thing, I bet you could set something up with a bunch of local coffee shops.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Roots,_Inc.
and: https://backtotheroots.com/collections/mushroom-grow-kits

Back
Top Bottom