UPDATE on non laying stubborn on strike laying hens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the4heathernsmom, May 13, 2010.

1. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    WOOO HOOOOO UPDATE !!!! After much effort and work, we went out just a bit ago and low and behold 4 eggs !!!!! AND two gals were sitting in nests doing the hay throw getting ready to lay ....... wow hang in there it's coming!!! This is what I did to help and cover anything that might be causing issues:
    Wormed everyone with ivermectin external for worms, mites, lice, any unseen parasites that could have made them stop laying
    cleaned out entire coop washed it down and replaced hay for bedding
    cleaned external pen area of all branches sweet gum balls etc burned and gv chickies ash pit to dust in
    cleaned water bin (half 50 gallon barrell cut sideways)
    gv fresh oyster shell
    supplemented feed with some cracked corn for protein
    threatened to start dispersing uncooperative chickens if I didn't start getting some action !!!!

We are "make do with what you have" kinda folks so my coop is not fabulous and cute (an old insulated storage shed), and my run/pen is huge but is made with an assortment of different wire fencing spliced here and there and not pretty at all, and our nest boxes are an assortment ie; milk crates, an old dog kennel, some plastic bins, and lol an old canning pot sideways......not pretty but gives a variety of nesting choices lol. It goes to show a little hard work, some patience, covering your bases one at a time, and a lot of chicken threats and tantrums can go a loooonnngggg way!!![​IMG]

2. the4heathernsmom

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I just thought this might help others out there with non layers right now....I was really to the point of giving up!!!!![​IMG]

3. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    if mine aren't laying and everything else is okay so they SHOULD be, I give them a little pepper or vinegar in their water

4. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:This may be a dumb question since I'm new, but please bear with me.

Why do you put pepper in their water? I've heard of vinegar, why pepper?

5. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Good question actually [​IMG] A chicken mentor suggested it to me and my grandmother confirmed it.

It worked every time and I have never had any problems from it.

6. the4heathernsmom

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Hmmmm I have never heard of that. I think I read on here somewhere about putting apple cider vinegar in their water but I am not sure what is was supposed to treat. The pepper is supposed to help with internal parasites? or something to help them go into production and lay?

7. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Pepper increases circulation. Is that why? ACV has a lot of different benefits, not just to purify the water. Also good is diatomaceous earth, which has multiple benefits.

Doesn't de-worming medication take awhile to filter out of the chickens before their eggs are edible?
    [​IMG]

8. Straubby

Straubby Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    new hampshire,ohio
    the wormer the "expert" at TSC sold me specifically said "do not use on chickens laying eggs for human consumption". of course i didnt see it til i got home so i still need to return it lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by