UPDATE on non laying stubborn on strike laying hens!!

the4heathernsmom

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
east texas
WOOO HOOOOO UPDATE !!!! After much effort and work, we went out just a bit ago and low and behold 4 eggs !!!!! AND two gals were sitting in nests doing the hay throw getting ready to lay ....... wow hang in there it's coming!!! This is what I did to help and cover anything that might be causing issues:
Wormed everyone with ivermectin external for worms, mites, lice, any unseen parasites that could have made them stop laying
cleaned out entire coop washed it down and replaced hay for bedding
cleaned external pen area of all branches sweet gum balls etc burned and gv chickies ash pit to dust in
cleaned water bin (half 50 gallon barrell cut sideways)
gv fresh oyster shell
supplemented feed with some cracked corn for protein
threatened to start dispersing uncooperative chickens if I didn't start getting some action !!!!

We are "make do with what you have" kinda folks so my coop is not fabulous and cute (an old insulated storage shed), and my run/pen is huge but is made with an assortment of different wire fencing spliced here and there and not pretty at all, and our nest boxes are an assortment ie; milk crates, an old dog kennel, some plastic bins, and lol an old canning pot sideways......not pretty but gives a variety of nesting choices lol. It goes to show a little hard work, some patience, covering your bases one at a time, and a lot of chicken threats and tantrums can go a loooonnngggg way!!!
lol.png

Quote:
This may be a dumb question since I'm new, but please bear with me.

Why do you put pepper in their water? I've heard of vinegar, why pepper?

Good question actually
lol.png
A chicken mentor suggested it to me and my grandmother confirmed it.

It worked every time and I have never had any problems from it.

Hmmmm I have never heard of that. I think I read on here somewhere about putting apple cider vinegar in their water but I am not sure what is was supposed to treat. The pepper is supposed to help with internal parasites? or something to help them go into production and lay?

Pepper increases circulation. Is that why? ACV has a lot of different benefits, not just to purify the water. Also good is diatomaceous earth, which has multiple benefits.

Doesn't de-worming medication take awhile to filter out of the chickens before their eggs are edible?
hide.gif

the wormer the "expert" at TSC sold me specifically said "do not use on chickens laying eggs for human consumption". of course i didnt see it til i got home so i still need to return it lol

Back
Top Bottom