Update page 4, hamster pics. WHO KNEW!!!

How cute!

They look to be about 2-3 weeks old or so. They'll be ready to go to new homes in 2-3 more weeks. Usually 5-6 weeks is a good time to send them off, but you'll want to take them away from mom and wean them at 4 weeks or so in male/female cages. Round milk looking bellies make me think they are still nursing.

You can't keep Syrians together as they are the solitary types once they reach maturity. The dwarf types can be kept in same sex pairs, but only if reared together from babies, and males sometimes don't get along as well as females in groups. At one point in time I bred russian dwarfs, to feed my friend's corn snake. It eventually graduated to fuzzies where she went back to store bought food. The dwarfs had a faster reproductive cycle, smaller babies, and didn't smell like the mice.

They were so cute as marble sized babies, but I prefer the Syrian look and temperament better.

Good luck finding homes for them!

Yeah, they are still nursing.
smile.png
It is really cute to see her roll over on her side and feed them.
smile.png
I was really shocked at how cute they are. I mean, I KNOW baby animals are cute, and I adore hamsters, but this is almost ridiculous!!!
smile.png

I heard it rumored that the librarian at my kids school is thinking of getting a hamster for the library.
smile.png
I am planning to talk to her tomorrow and tell her I know where she can get a free one.
smile.png
Hopefully that will reduce my number by one at least.

I really want to re-home the mother too, but my kids keep saying "NO, we can't give her away, she has a name!!!". Of course she does, they named her!!! LOL She is now Hazel, BTW, and the other adult female is Georgia.
smile.png

Thanks.
smile.png
LOL...THAT is the worst part!!! I have become so attached to all of them but I KNOW I can't keep them all. The mother is really good about letting me play with them, too, which is nice. They will be super sweet, having been held since they were tiny. It is really cute, when I start picking them up she looks relieved, almost like "cool, the sitter is here" and goes and gets a snack, a drink, and generally sits around grooming herself before coming back to them. If one squeaks (which they often do) she will casually walk over and put one of her little paws on my hand just to be sure I am not hurting a baby, then go back to her free time.
smile.png

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well. You have some cute babies there. Makes me miss all of our old hammies. Glad you're too far away to talk me into one of yours!!!

Your butterscotch hammies remind me of one we named Taffy...

Quote:
Hey, I could mail one!!! LOL And you could even call it Taffy, too!!! I couldn't do that here, my dog's name is Taffy and she might get mad at me.
smile.png

I do adore hamsters. They are the perfect size to scrunch up in your hands and kiss.
smile.png

My youngest really wants one, but DH says so more species in the house
gig.gif

I can't back her up since I've taken this command to mean that I can have can buff orps, EE's, Welsummers, D'Uccles, Silkies, Showgirls.... You catch my drift
wink.png

Hey, at least your husband say "species", wegotchickens!!! Mine always tries to say "animals" in general!!! You are sooooo lucky!!
smile.png

Yeah, spottedcrow, I was surprised at how happily she lets me play with them. She is a very good natured little girl. I am eager to see what her personality is like when she isn't caring for her brats anymore.

They are so cute!! I used to have a breeding pair of dwarf hamsters. I loved the babies! One baby was rejected by mama. I fed her with the formula. The kids named him Miracle!!! Too cute!

Back
Top Bottom