UPDATE: Quail eating one another. New pen setup.

JerryDwane

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
A few weeks ago I posted an article with pics of quail from where they were ganging up on several and basically eating the backside out. The article is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ides-graphic-images-need-help-please.1225598/

Anyway, in the discussion the suggestion was that I simply had too many in to small of a wire pen. Since I posted that article and plan on raising quite a few of these I have since built the pen shown in the photos. Collecting eggs and cleanliness will be a major difference but GOD these birds act totally different being on the ground instead of a wire cage.

I also electrified the outside near the bottom to try and keep any predators out. Anyway, that is my update. PS. They are now in a 12ft x 24ft full flight pen as seen in the pics. How many could you raise in there realistically?

PS I also have my brooder in with them (red box in pen) , I didn't see how this could hurt, but maybe someone else knows best. Thanks
q-pen-1.jpg

pen-2.jpg

Last edited:
So they are no longer behaving badly?

One thing I have seen done to enrich the lives of the birds is to add brush to the space.

If they are doing better I am happy for you. I read the other thread and WOW they can do some damage!

Last edited:
So they are no longer behaving badly?

One thing I have seen done to enrich the lives of the birds is to add brush to the space.

If they are doing better I am happy for you. I read the other thread and WOW they van do some damage!

Yes, so far so good. We just finished the build of that pen yesterday. I have yet to add much ground cover and am still trying to figure out what all to put in there as plants wont really grow due to the shade from the top.

Yep, those things were like vulchers as seen in the pics in the other thread.. Awfull.

Oh sorry I should have been clear.

I called (tagged by typing the @ and the user name) someone that has a neat set up to give some input here to help.

They will get an alert that they have been tagged. Hopefully they see it and come here.

Its a neat feature that I use if I don't know the answer. It allows me to tag people who may.

Of course I cannot find the one I wanted to show you........

Branches from trimmed trees, potted evergreen low shrubs, logs, big rocks, and straw piles are what I have mainly seen added.

I am still learning myself. A friend wants me to take his breeding pairs but I am not set up for it so reading like crazy myself.

Got ya. We have a ton of old logs and stuff like that around here. Just trying to figure out how to set it up so that it looks OK but not trashy lol.. My farm looks rough enough as it is :)

That is the trick lol.

Think "natural" hard to make scrubby land tidy at the same time.......

I think using natural elements will help a lot.

Maybe make a little half circle of stumps stood up on end and lean some brush up on the side that is seen less?

A couple big pots in the corners with shrubs in them?

Back
Top Bottom