UPDATE! Sad News!

Ashley, sorry to hear that. Hope the rest are going to do better for you.

I candled my eggs last night and have 100% fertility on the bantam barred rocks but could not tell on the araucanas. Too dark even though they are lighter blue and not green. Will have to wait and see. I should be able to tell if a chick is in there at a later time, they are not too dark for that I don't think. Will keep you posted.

Marie

What do you use to candle Marie? I have light brown and light blue eggs and I'm wondering if I'll be able to see anything tonight. I'm thinking about doing a shoebox with a bulb and an egg shaped hole cut in the top. I wish I had a surefire, but alas I don't.

I candled yesterday (I knew I couldnt resist!) and I am so not sure what I was seeing that I'm not going to do it again until next week or something....what Im worried about is that they were all dark on top, the air thing seems to be below - can that mean they're all bad? They're mostly brown eggs and it was hard to see much....I did see a wiggly thing in either a little cochin or serama though - hope it doesnt go all jelly on me? Gotta go back to the campground now, but here at home in the bator the humidity and temps holding well - all my pets are doing fine! Enjoy the Spring/Easter holiday!

I candled last night-it's really hard to see with some of my browns and blues. I for sure have 8 keepers with good veins and some swimmers. I had one blood ring for sure, and some clears. I took the blood ring out and marked the question marks. * isn't very good out of 23, but half of my shipped eggs are good so that's positive.
Anyone else have an update?

Still 100 percent so far on the bantam barred rocks and nothing showing on the bantam araucanas. I am so disappointed. I got the eggs for free but I was so excited. I will have to just keep trying though. I am on day 10 today so wont take them out just yet but I don't think they are doing anything. Hope everyone else is doing better.

Marie

Update::

Took the bantam araucanas out, none fertile. Oh well. Still have the barred rocks going and have swap eggs on the way too.

Marie

Last edited:
What day is this for you, Marie Martin? I think we are on the same day - due on 4/4/08?
I candled again tonight/Tuesday for reals! I was very happy to see progress - I have 36 for certain viable eggs, one iffy one, and I tossed a few clear/spotted eggs. That means I have Black Langshan, Black Australorp, Standard Cochin, Jersey Giant, Serama, Bantam Cochin, and my own Cuckoo Marans perking!
yippiechickie.gif

I went and bought a 3 watt LED flashlight at Walmart and it even worked on my dark Cuckoo Marans eggs, it was impressive! I got to see little wiggly's all over, so unless I do something in the meantime to mess it up, we got fuzzy babies coming!!
How is everyone handling the wait? I think if I didnt have to work full time, I'd be fogging up the lid of the incubator watching it all the time, probably be causing a humidity crisis - better off for me to be some place else.
Does any else use a second incubator for the days the babies hatch? I want to buy one just for that purpose only, so I'm wondering if the Little Giant still air is good enough, or should I still get a better bator with fan, etc??
Opinions?
Thanks,
Tina

I just ordered a genesis, so if it comes in time I will use it for the hatch. Other than that, I had just planned to use my lg.

Ok so I candled again last night - 4 out of 23 eggs - yep, only 4 developing, the rest were either clear or had blood rings. Sigh. I think I give up on shipped eggs. The air cells on these are so wonky.

I put mine in on a Friday night, the 14th but started counting the next day. So today is day 12. Hope you all get some fuzzy butts.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom