UPDATE! Sad News!

Tina, keep us updated on the early peepers...

I candled last night and luckily, my 4 remaining are still doing well. Two mille fluer d'uccles and one blue splash silkie and one white silkie.

On another note, I am incubating a dozen of my own mille fluer eggs, yesterday was day 5 and all 12 of those eggs are developing wonderfully!! I could see each and every embryo and lots of veins. I'm very excited that it's not my incubating skills but rather my bad luck with shipped eggs!!
barnie.gif

Good luck everyone! We're getting close!

Today at 4:30pm will start day 18 for me. I'm working on slowly getting the humidity up. I started out with two cartons in the bator, but was able to put then in one since I'm now down to 12. That helped with making more room for sponges, ect.

Tina-I was wondering about taller birds like ducklings in the LG-I burned my finger pretty bad on the element yesterday. I'm hatching bantams, so I think they'd have a hard time getting up there.

Marie-how are your eggs doing? Still have all of them?

I'm getting excited now-it's going to be any day!
jumpy.gif

Still have all of the barred rocks. Lost the araucana early on. They did nothing. jmhappycowboy was letting me test them. He does not know why they are not fertile, but will try again later on. But the barred rocks look great. Today is day 17. I also have a mix of a few white silkies and a few serama and a few d'uccle but they look like the p.o. must have played football with them. The aircells are destroyed. Some are like separated into more than one air cell if that makes sense. Kind of sloshy like someone shook them really hard. Not sure what the deal is. But I am going to take them out in a few days if they don't improve, which I don't have much hope for the seramas (1 is a maybe out of 5) and a couple silkies are not quite as bad but who knows. Will keep you posted. You do the same.

Marie

Last edited:
Well, I've taken my eggs off of the turner, decided to use the hova 1588 and cartons to hatch them after all - I read the stuff on here alot, made enough sense to try it that way? I really need to go to work (how else am I gonna pay to feed my chickens?) but I'm fixated on trying to stabilize the incubator temps and humidity. Since the temps are preset, not alot I can do about that, but it seems to want to only go up to about 98.8 or 99??? The humidity was only 50-55%, so I put water in ALL of the chambers, umm, like the instructions said, so I'm waiting to make sure I dont drown the little ones.......Man, when will it be safe to go? Good thing I work for the government, and having a sick chicken issue is a "reasonable excuse"?
How's everyone else setting up today? Arent we getting into the final stages of our "labor" of love here? Oh man, I hope theres hatching soon! Please, post pics too! Tina

Tina- My bator is all wonky too with the temps. I woke up this morning and it was like 96.9(wiggler) or something totally low. Arg! I've got the wiggler temps back up, and humidity at 71%. It drops really fast, so I'm letting it go down a bit on its own.
My hatch might be a bit late because I have had some lower temps all along. Can't wait to see everyone's pics!

Yeah, I've been biting my tongue all along about the low temps because I have the hova 1588 - and it's preset, but I've been worried - I'm supposed to be though? I imagine my hatch will be late too. But once I took out the turner today it went tooooo low....I violated all the hova preset rules and shut her down (I have an LG to keep the eggs in while I'm touching the other one) and toggled the switch anyhow - I'm thinking with the cartons, the skid pad to keep chicks from slipping, and such, it cant keep a higher temp - I needed to increase it, so I'm trying a different setting - Hope I get to work today??? Humidity rose when I filled all the trays and added two sponges - so far so good there. Gotta go check with eggs? Tina

jumpy.gif
They gotta hatch!!
Hope everyone does well! I am going to leave it alone now - I can get 100.2 degrees max - then the thermostat goes off, so it's the best I can do? Humidity at 65% and seems stable for now -
This may seem awful, but I have a back up plan - three local feed stores are getting chicks in this Thursday - I'm having them hold some for me - just in case - for the brooder thats waiting, empty, alone, ready to be filled???
I'm worried that I may have done something wrong with these, with the low temps for so long - but I saw movement on my final candling - so there's hope! Even one tiny Serama is trying to hang in there!
Best of luck to everyone. Dont forget, PICS PICS PICS!!!

I set the hatcher up last night (another LG) until my Hova Bator gets here. Will check temp and humidity again tonight before putting them in. Will use the carton for sure. Will keep you posted.

marie

lol Alyssa! Mine are super quiet-no moving or peeps. I feel like I should have candled them one last time. Today at 4:30 starts day 20 and my temps were on the low side so maybe it will take more time.
I feel like someone here should have some pips by now!
tf-I already bought three chicks last week in case none of these hatched
tongue.png
My 2yo was losing interest in the hatching process-I don't think she believes there are chicks in the eggs anymore.

Back
Top Bottom