Update:Scovie baby hatched under my Pekin!!! Photo included :-)

PlumTuckered

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Arkansas
These eggs spent a week under my broody chicken, then were transferred to my incubator, due to hatch on May 18th. This evening I went to candle them and one egg was pipped, baby is into the air cell of the other egg..ackkkkk . I hollered for my husband to come lift up the duck house and I slipped the two eggs under my Pekin Gals who are broody and have been sitting on dud pekin eggs (no drake). I sat out there with them until dark, and have gone out to check a few times, nothing to be seen yet. I'm not going to get a wink of sleep tonight. I'm so excited!! I'll let my broody gals take care of these babies until they are old/big enough to go to neighbor's house (she will be putting them with her grown 'scovies). I'm so proud of my Pekin Gals, I hope they don't fight over the babies. I have one more scovie egg in the bator that isn't due to hatch until May 28th...looks like I'll have to hatch that one out myself and keep it till it's big/old enough to go to it's rightful owner. I want scovies so bad but my husband says no way, they're too ugly. *sigh*

Michelle

Last edited:
Congrats! I don't think that muscovies are ugly.
sad.png
But a lot of people do, its unfortunate.

I'm like you, I think they are beautiful ducks, shoot I think all ducks are beautiful :)
I'm really really hoping that once he sees the little darlin's in the pen with our other ducks he may change his mind. Since I don't plan to hand them over to their owner until they are big enough to go he's going to be seeing them quite a bit LOL

Michelle

Here are my gals on the nest. Diana Duck (in the forefront) is my 14 month old , Scrappy Duck is my 8 month old that I hatched in the house:
2832_pekingalsonnest.jpg

it's a poor photo, I took it with my phone.

Michelle

LOL I plan on showing him your Quackers...if he still says they're ugly then I know he needs a good butt whoopin'!

I almost cried when my neighbor said I could keep one of the babies and my husband said "no way, I don't want any of those ugly ducks living here". He can be such a hard head!

I wish the mosquitoes weren't so bad tonight or I'd go out and spend the night in the duck house with my girls LOL I can't wait to see the babies!!

Michelle

ohhhhhh muscovies LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL2WQ <--- that was billy my bunny saying hii lol anyway, like i was saying before he interupted lol muscovies love mosquitos!! more food for thought hahahaha. yessss men sometimes need a butt whoppin' to whip them in shape!! HAHAHA
gig.gif

ohhhhhhh I will remember that excellent point about Muscovies ;-)
I'm allergic to mosquitoes and swell up something feirce when they bite me, they never bite my husband...I'm guessing if I told him that 'scovies love to eat them he may give it some thought. I'm sure he's tired of me whining about my goose egg sized "skitter" bites LOL

I just went out and sat with the girls for a few minutes. I can't hear anything and neither of them are acting like anything new has happened. My Pekins are a riot, they love to talk to me and normally when I haven't been to the pen or pond to visit them for a a few hours they talk up a storm...if only I understood Pekin! They crack me up when they do their broody dance, all puffed up and nutty, luckily though neither mind me touching them or the nest. If I go in the duck house while they're outside of it eating, they come waddling in and stand right beside me watching every move I make but never get aggressive. Might be another story once those babies hatch :)

Michelle
ps. helloooooooooo billy bunny :)

Last edited:
haha. i will try to think of more reasons lol. they are excellent mothers too. i can't get near my grandchildren lol

aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that's soooooooooooooooo cute i wana pekin
sad.png
they are adorable!!! and yours sound like they have wonderful personalities!!!!!!!

billy is a character. he's trying to drink water and it's by the nest so he's running up and getting as much as he can before mom realizes that he's there and he runs off before she gets him lol.

Back
Top Bottom