UPDATE - Silkie with micro mite infestation! Irritated eyes and head feather loss.

I just found out that this mite has a name. The De-pluming mite.

Now i need to find a absolute cure as im sure my henhas some leftovers as her crest has begun to fall out in the last month.

Well I went ahead with the ivermectin 10cc every 3 days for two weeks and one front line treatment. She is on molt and her feathers are growing back everywhere they were missing!

So I guess I can say it cured her of the depluming mites.

Thought I'd post this so others could use the same trick.

So , what do you do if the mites have gotten on YOU? I feel like I am crawling with them, have the bites to prove it! Can I spray this CV-80 on myself??

So , what do you do if the mites have gotten on YOU? I feel like I am crawling with them, have the bites to prove it! Can I spray this CV-80 on myself??
Yep! Least I did after I skinned some rabbits full of fleas. Didn't hurt me any! :) Spray it any where you like, just not on your food or face or water preferably, lol

OK I'm going to try that. The can has so many disclaimers on the back I got a bit leery. Don't get it on your skin, don't spray when animals are present... It was helpful that you said to spray directly on or near their vent because when I did I realized what I ha thought was dirt was actually mites. Poor girls! Did you get them all out of the coop before you sprayed? I want to spray but it's only going to be 10° here today and my girls aren't used to that. We'll see, the sun's shining anyway.
You skin rabbits? For fur or meat?

OK I'm going to try that. The can has so many disclaimers on the back I got a bit leery. Don't get it on your skin, don't spray when animals are present... It was helpful that you said to spray directly on or near their vent because when I did I realized what I ha thought was dirt was actually mites. Poor girls! Did you get them all out of the coop before you sprayed? I want to spray but it's only going to be 10° here today and my girls aren't used to that. We'll see, the sun's shining anyway.
You skin rabbits? For fur or meat?

No I sprayed them all in the coup. I did one at a time and threw them out the door as I did each to keep track. So far sense spring I haven't seen any more mites on them. So i haven't had to treat them sense. I'm going to worm them again soon when I clip nails.

I skin rabbits for both. :)

I also found using the combo of pur on ivermectin and front line + for dogs works good at curing the mites. I think I posted instructions in here on that too. Works great and the large dog front line lasts ForEver!

What do you use for a wormer? You have been so informative! I appreciate that! You know what a pain in the butt it is to get answers for these off the wall ailments we deal with. I have had chickens for four years now and this is the first I've had to deal with any of this stuff. Thanks again.

What do you use for a wormer? You have been so informative! I appreciate that! You know what a pain in the butt it is to get answers for these off the wall ailments we deal with. I have had chickens for four years now and this is the first I've had to deal with any of this stuff. Thanks again.

I use safe guard goat wormer from TSC. I only use a tinny bit. About one ml in a baby syrynge from the drug store.

I'd worm between 2 and 4 times a year. Other ways you could have resistant worms. I worm in summer and winter after there is snow cover. Seams to work well.

Back
Top Bottom