Update w/ Pics - ACK! My Duck Eggs Hatched!

The Monkey Mama

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Kennesaw, GA
OK, I had 5 cayuga duck eggs in the incubator but had some serious temp control problems and I also neglected to turn them due to being slammed with things to accomplish the last couple of weeks.

I didn't expect them to hatch at all.

THEY DID! I have two of the cutest baby ducks I've ever seen in my incubator!

Now that I'm past my shock, I have a couple of questions:

1. Can they eat regular medicated chick starter or do they need special food?
2. Can they go in the same brooder with my one surviving white leghorn chick who is 6 days old?
3. Anything else vital a newbie should know about raising baby ducks? I've raised tons of chicks, but this is my first baby duck experience!

Thanks!

Kelly

Last edited:
1. Can they eat regular medicated chick starter or do they need special food?

go to your local tractor supply and get chick starter/grower. I've never ever fed medicated, though I think you can.

2. Can they go in the same brooder with my one surviving white leghorn chick who is 6 days old?

so long as the leghorn chick isn't too much bigger it should be fine.

3. Anything else vital a newbie should know about raising baby ducks? I've raised tons of chicks, but this is my first baby duck experience!

Baby ducks are easy speasy IMO, I've raised bunches, they don't require heat for as long as chicks do, and can go outside sooner than chicks.

AND! MAWWWWWWWWWWWW PIC-A-TURES!

clap.gif
yeah Kelly!!!! I'm so happy for you
hugs.gif
I have some Cayugas coming from BoggyBottomsBantams and I'm nervous and excited all at once
tongue.png
Can't wait to see some pics
jumpy.gif

PS

I've heard that the ducklings eat way more than chicks...so they would od on the medicine in medicated starter. I have game bird starter that I use with my quails...so I'm planning on using it for the ducklings as well.

I hatched my first ducks this winter, I found that they are sooooo much messier than chicks. I finally put them in a hutch with a grate floor (nice grate not harsh on feet) I keep wee wee pads in the bottom tray and clean every 3 days at leats. I also switched to a water bottle with nipple to give them fresh water because they make such a mess with it. I saw a post recently of a brooder for ducks with cement blocks and a grate over it where the watterer was it was a great idea. Good luck!

Thank you guys so much! I'll give them some game bird feed.

I haven't removed them from the incubator yet because I'm waiting to see if the other two eggs may hatch too [don't want to mess up the humidity opening it up], but once they are out I will definitely take some pics to share!

Thanks again for the help! I'm glad I asked and didn't poison the poor things with medicated feed!

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom