*Update* We got a surprise today! Now I have a few questions

JNorth

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Western New York
Our first egg! (Next to a store bought large egg)

So how's it look? :)

Here are few questions....
First, we have one golf ball in each of nesting box (there are 4). This egg was laid in the sand UNDER the coop. So what can I do now?

Second, we had previously over-estimated the girls age and realized this week that they are only about 16 weeks, 17 weeks on Wednesday, they were hatched on Feb 29th (leap year chickens!), so when we got our new bag of food this week we got DuMorgrower/finisher, can I still use that now that they are laying (it's a brand new big bag)? Is there something that I can add to it so that I can use it up, I don't have anyone that I can give it to and I can't just waste it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on your first home grown egg, it looks great! I would feed them the grower and offer oyster shell on the side. The girls laying will eat the shell if they need it, and the ones that aren't wont have to consume the calcium that would be in the layer feed. Which at this point, I don't think it would do any harm anyway. Or, if you haven't opened the bag- maybe you could take it back and exchange it. Good luck :)

Since I have 5 pullets that are in the 26-28 week range and 7 that are 16 weeks, I am feeding grower/finisher and also have trays of oyster shell and grit out. I also feed scratch in the early afternoon.

Great. I will start offering oyster shell (plus I have been saving egg shells for a while as well).

So how do I get them to lay in the nests??

So how do I get them to lay in the nests??
On occasion mine like to do the "Easter Egg Hunt" laying, even though they have plenty of egg boxes and lots of room. I lock them into the coop until they've all laid for a couple of days and that usually puts an end to the hidden eggs. You can also take the eggs you find an put them in the boxes for a couple of days, with the golf balls, and let them get used to the idea with real eggs and golf balls. Then after a day or 2, don't want to waste your new eggs, take up the eggs and just leave the golf balls. That's all it's ever taken for me.

Thanks for the info! Since this was only the first egg, I'm hoping that one of the other girls (we have 8) lays in the nest and the others follow suit. It blended in so well with the sand I'm not even sure how long it has been there! I know it was laid today at least. It was cold when I found it.

Don't worry, they will get the idea....lots of times new layers will be taken by surprise and drop an egg almost anywhere. She will figure out the nest box.

Well we got another egg today (same size, shape and color) and it was in the nest box... yea!!! Which is quite a feat today since the wind is determined to keep the coop door closed. I think I have an idea of who is doing it too... there is one chicken that has started to act differently, more friendly. If I open the nest box hatch she jumps right up and has to see what I am doing. And, when I come around she doesn't run off, she squats in front of me and lets me pet her. Not sure if that means anything or not, she's just acting different. Normally they are all about what treats I come with and if I am empty handed they peck at my feet and run around all silly!

Last edited:
Our first egg! (Next to a store bought large egg)

So how's it look? :)

Here are few questions....
First, we have one golf ball in each of nesting box (there are 4). This egg was laid in the sand UNDER the coop. So what can I do now?

Second, we had previously over-estimated the girls age and realized this week that they are only about 16 weeks, 17 weeks on Wednesday, they were hatched on Feb 29th (leap year chickens!), so when we got our new bag of food this week we got DuMorgrower/finisher, can I still use that now that they are laying (it's a brand new big bag)? Is there something that I can add to it so that I can use it up, I don't have anyone that I can give it to and I can't just waste it.

Thanks!

Oh, how exciting!! It's a beaut! Look at that egg white that isn't running all over the plate and the bright yellow yolk. Tell her we said, "Good job!"

Well we got our third egg today (after a 2 day break from laying the first two eggs), from the same hen as the egg above (shown with the same store bought egg as the first picture)...

I think it's safe to say that at least one of our girls has figured it out!!
woot.gif

ETA: We cracked it open and it was a double yolk!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom