UPDATED #2: Sick chick..posted earlier no response PLEASE HELP ME

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
This chick doesnt move much...chirps occasionally; very quietly...
doesnt drink or eat...

jujst lays with head on ground...

any way to get it interested to eat? we've even done a yolk..its like it doesnt know how to drink/eat on its own..
he has yet to take ANY food since I've had him..almost 12 hrs now..

help! ideas??

UPDATE:
chicky passed away overnight even after vitamins, pedialyte etc...

UNFORTUNATELY: we have another one today who is following same suit..was strong and running around yesterday..
today; barely moving and I already thought he/she was dead once...but it roused awake..tried vitamins and pedialyte just in case..

I have a call out to the FFA guy at our school; they raise chickens all school yr there...so I have to go to the food pantry to work this
afternoon and they are bringing about 2,000 lbs of canned goods over there, so I'm bringing li'l chick-man to thep antry and he's gonna
take a look at it..one of the kids who raises chickens may even take it home for the weekend to work on him..we'll see...

anyway; my 7 yr old was heartbroken this a/m and cried even as we were taking her to school about it...

ETA: 2nd chick passed
my 13 yr old is in tears...ugh..who said boys arent sensitive??? I have one of the most sensitive boys EVER..

Last edited:
Did you hatch the chick, or did it come from a hatchery? Sometimes chicks just don't survive no matter what you do for them. You can try sugar water, that sometimes perks up a chick.

Hello-

Keeping the little chick warm is super important, and if you can give it a tiny bit of sugar water with a syringe or eye dropper, that might help. I've even given them warm milk, and that perked a chick up once.......

Don't feel too bad if it doesn't work....sometimes they look normal, but something isn't right on the inside.......Mother Nature takes them back home.....

hugs.gif
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Sharon

Most likely not your issue, but I will suggest it just in case....

She might be hypothermic.... make sure she stays warm under the lamp. She might have wandered away from the lamp after all the stress.

Keep her bottom from getting pasty while she feels bad.

Best of luck!

I would dip his beak in water to make sure he knows where it is. Then, assuming he isn't improving, I'd get some polyvisol (baby vitamins) without iron, and put a drop on the end of his beak. You should probably add some electrolytes to his water, too, or use the Pedialyte (again, no iron or flouride). See if that will help him...

Baby chicks are so amazing. They can be so tough, and come back in seemingly hopeless times - then again, they can be so fragile and die no matter what you do... I hope this one is the former, not the latter.
hugs.gif

if the others are tramping all over it yes get it out of there. I just ordered something called grow gel plus from twincitypoultrysupplies, because I am picking up chicks next week and want to make sure they do well any chance your feed store might have it?

Last edited:
Quote:
I did get it out of there; went and got polyvisol or whatever w/out iron..

no..they dont have grow gel and even if they did; this chick WONT eat/Drink...ugh

Back
Top Bottom