Updated and new questions...First time incubating ducks...day 23...is this okay?

Updated in original post and doing so here too...little one is definitely gone. šŸ˜­

Update:

I opened the egg and the membrane was essentially shrink wrapped around the duckling. The duckling is definitely gone, with only a little yolk left. So sad to lose one so close to hatching!!! šŸ˜­

I kept humidity 50-57% and temp around 99.5. What could I change next time to prevent this?

Used/Process:
Still Air Incubator
In-incubator heat and humidity monitors (2 of each in various locations in the incubator)
Used an auto turner weeks 1 & 2
Took turner out
Put egg on side and hand turned 3-4 x a day
Kept humidity 50-57% with some spikes above (not intentional)
water was added as needed to keep humidity 50-57% (was aiming for more like 60, but struggled to do so)

Updated in original post and doing so here too...little one is definitely gone. šŸ˜­

Update:

I opened the egg and the membrane was essentially shrink wrapped around the duckling. The duckling is definitely gone, with only a little yolk left. So sad to lose one so close to hatching!!! šŸ˜­

I kept humidity 50-57% and temp around 99.5. What could I change next time to prevent this?

Used/Process:
Still Air Incubator
In-incubator heat and humidity monitors (2 of each in various locations in the incubator)
Used an auto turner weeks 1 & 2
Took turner out
Put egg on side and hand turned 3-4 x a day
Kept humidity 50-57% with some spikes above (not intentional)
water was added as needed to keep humidity 50-57% (was aiming for more like 60, but struggled to do so)
I hatch a lot of chicks and ducklings in an old styrofoam, forced air incubator with an automatic turner. I think you did everything right. There is a reason the saying is ā€œdonā€™t count your chickens before they hatchā€ (or ducks), hatching is hard. That eggshell is porous, it is possible that bacteria got in. Incubators like ours do not have thermostats only timers. So, if the room temperature varied your temperature could have dropped or spiked. I use an external thermostat on mine, even then I consider it a good hatch if 60-70% hatch. Hopefully next time will go better.

Back
Top Bottom