Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
We are using the liquid 9.6% Corid. Am I right to assume that it is 1/2 tsp per gallon. I am trying to treat a 3 gal waterer.

We are using the liquid 9.6% Corid.  Am I right to assume that it is 1/2 tsp per gallon.  I am trying to treat a 3 gal waterer.

If you are treating an active outbreak, and using the 9.6% solution, the dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days.

-Kathy

Note that the directions on the bottle are for cattle, so ignore those, poultry should get twice as much for a severe outbreak. Please see post #1.

-Kathy

If you are treating an active outbreak, and using the 9.6% solution, the dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days.

-Kathy

Isn't this like the Safeguard dosing?  How much water do the birds have to take down to get enough Corid to be effective?

Sort of, I think, but I've been thinking abouth the best way to treat coccidiosis, and I've come to the conclusion that the best way to treat them might be to give it as an oral drench for two days *and* in the water.

As I understand it, Corid works by mimicking the B1 that the coccidia need to survive, but they have a very fast metabolism, so giving it to birds once a day might not be as effective as giving it once a day *and* in their water.

So what do know is give it as an oral drench until I see that they're drinking on their as well as in the water. This is something that I've been experimenting with, it is not something my vet told me to do, but Corid is very safe and the chance of causing any harm is slim to none.

-kathy

As you know my vet is having me put all meds into the wet mash I feed all my birds, so it is measured and completely taken down by the birds. Her last recommendations were to treat at the high dosage for five days and follow up with the lower dosage for twenty one more days. She wants me to torch the pen to try to kill any eggs that may be lying about in the poo and dirt with a propane torch.

She also recommended that I reduce the starch input by cutting out gains, I have been adding crimped corn to the feed, she wants me to stop the corn. Also recommended adding vitamin B to their diet as the Cocci eat up the available B complex thus staving the birds need for vitamin B. She also wants me to increase the rough fiber in the diet by adding alfalfa pellets to the mash, more fresh cut alfalfa, or leafy green alfalfa hay being available 24/7.

I don't know how this stacks up to your thinking but it is the path I am on for now.

As you know my vet is having me put all meds into the wet mash I feed all my birds, so it is measured and completely taken down by the birds. Her last recommendations were to treat at the high dosage for five days and follow up with the lower dosage for twenty one more days. She wants me to torch the pen to try to kill any eggs that may be lying about in the poo and dirt with a propane torch.

She also recommended that I reduce the starch input by cutting out gains, I have been adding crimped corn to the feed, she wants me to stop the corn. Also recommended adding vitamin B to their diet as the Cocci eat up the available B complex thus staving the birds need for vitamin B. She also wants me to increase the rough fiber in the diet by adding alfalfa pellets to the mash, more fresh cut alfalfa, or leafy green alfalfa hay being available 24/7.

I don't know how this stacks up to your thinking but it is the path I am on for now.

How does she suggest getting the B complex into the birds? I mean, what product/supplement?

Sort of, I think, but I've been thinking abouth the best way to treat coccidiosis, and I've come to the conclusion that the best way to treat them might be to give it as an oral drench for two days *and* in the water.

As I understand it, Corid works by mimicking the B1 that the coccidia need to survive, but they have a very fast metabolism, so giving it to birds once a day might not be as effective as giving it once a day *and* in their water.

So what do know is give it as an oral drench until I see that they're drinking on their as well as in the water. This is something that I've been experimenting with, it is not something my vet told me to do, but Corid is very safe and the chance of causing any harm is slim to none.

-kathy

Kathy, I saw posts earlier in the thread about Sulmet... I see that it is typically used in the water, but Tractor Supply has a bovine bolus form. Have you ever used Sulmet as a drench?

Also, someone else had written about using probiotics for their birds. I've been feeding human probiotics to the family, but haven't a clue where to find "appropriate" probiotics for chickens and/or peas. Have you tried probiotics, especially after Sulmet, and what did you use?

Thanks so much!

KsKingBee, talk to your vet first, but if I were you and had issues with coccidiosis after trying just in the water, then just in the food, I'd wanna try the 0.024% amount in their drinking water and an additional amount in a mash.

The amount I would put in a mash works out to 20mg/kg. To calculate that dose do the following:

Weight of flock in kilograms, times 20, divide by 96. The answer to that is the number of ml of Corid needed for the mash.

Example for ten 500 gram chicks (500 grams = 0.5kg), so 10 times 0.5kg = 5kg
5 x 20/96 = 1.04ml Corid for mash.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom