Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
So I just remembered something... A few years ago I was using the liquid Sulmet and I noticed that the color of the water changed when it was left in the sunlight, so I think one might want to keep any medicated water in the shade to to be safe, because I know that some medications are adversely affected by sunlight.

-Kathy

Kathy- when I mixed the sulmet stock the water turned yellow instantly so I don't think it is necessarily from the sun... Also when I change the water in the morning it is also slightly yellow and I keep my waterers in the shade.

However I would say that it is best to keep waterers in the shade regardless, to cut down on algae formation.

I also put frozen water bottles into my waterers because supposedly they will drink more water when the water is cool... And that is important when it's over 100 degrees!

Kathy- when I mixed the sulmet stock the water turned yellow instantly so I don't think it is necessarily from the sun... Also when I change the water in the morning it is also slightly yellow and I keep my waterers in the shade.

However I would say that it is best to keep waterers in the shade regardless, to cut down on algae formation.

I also put frozen water bottles into my waterers because supposedly they will drink more water when the water is cool... And that is important when it's over 100 degrees!
Some drugs, like Baytril and ivermectin, lose their efficacy when exposed to sunlight.

-Kathy

The manufacturer of SMZ-Med 454, which is the exact same thing as Sulmet powder said the shelf life of the stock solution is only 7 days. They also said those with small flocks could use 1 tablespoon per two gallons, which is about 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy! Dang it I just wasted all of mine then! Ugh... Well hopefully it's the cure and I won't need anymore... Good to know the dosage according to them!

Thank you Kathy! Dang it I just wasted all of mine then! Ugh... Well hopefully it's the cure and I won't need anymore... Good to know the dosage according to them!
People, myself included, have a really hard time with powders, but if one slows down and really thinks about it, it can be figured out with the math we learned in middle school.

So think about it for a minute... the package says something like mix whole pack in one gallon, than that one gallon to 128 gallons, so the package makes 129 gallons, yes?

That package is 453.5 grams, so 453.5 / 129 = 3.5 grams, which you could then weigh if you have a gram scale.

Another way to do it would be to count out the number of tablespoons per package and do a little math.

The amount they suggested is a little more than you're supposed to give, but it's not gonna matter.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'm surprised there wasn't a good thread on the topic with clear instructions... Every forum asking the question about dosage was saying, "Don't use sulmet, use Corid!" without giving the information. So for future reference and based on the research provided in this forum, Sulmet and Amprol work better in combination and if you aren't getting results using amprol alone, consider also medicating with sulmet.

Seriously, after weeks of unsuccessfully battling coccidiosis using only Corid, the addition of Sulmet cleared up my flocks poos almost immediately...

Now fingers crossed it stays that way!

Last edited:
I'm surprised there wasn't a good thread on the topic with clear instructions... Every forum asking the question about dosage was saying, "Don't use sulmet, use Corid!" without giving the information. So for future reference and based on the research provided in this forum, Sulmet and Amprol work better in combination and if you aren't getting results using amprol alone, consider also medicating with sulmet.

Seriously, after weeks of unsuccessfully battling coccidiosis using only Corid, the addition of Sulmet cleared up my flocks poos almost immediately...

Now fingers crossed it stays that way!

It is so frustrating to go through that, I know. There is just too much internet (mis) information out there that is hard to battle. The links to prove the effectiveness of sulfa drugs should help. I, for one, will not recommend using Amprolium in peafowl ever again.

It is so frustrating to go through that, I know.  There is just too much internet (mis) information out there that is hard to battle.  The links to prove the effectiveness of sulfa drugs should help.  I, for one, will not recommend using Amprolium in peafowl ever again.

Just ordered some Sulmet and a reminder to everyone it will not be available without a prescription in 2017.

Back
Top Bottom