Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
So I'm no math wizard but my husband says I gave them 8 times the dose, but that would be based on if they drank 1/2 gallon each which they definitely didn't so I'm not too concerned. There are 7 of them and combined they drank maybe half a gallon...

Two tablespoon is way too much! Re read the instructions. I think the actual dose is close to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

That says to add the whole package (1 pound powder) to one gallon, then from that gallon use two tablespoons for the gallon you're going to give your birds.

-Kathy

I just realized this forum is about pea fowls... Lol (mine are chickens)

Kathy- I saw on the interwebs 1.5 teaspoons is for the liquid- is it the same for the powder form of sulmet? I searched and searched and never could find the dosage then glanced at the package and apparently didn't read the top part just "scrolled down" to where it said poultry... (A side-effect of internetting!) phew! lesson learned.

Last edited:
I just realized this forum is about pea fowls... Lol (mine are chickens)

Kathy- I saw on the interwebs 1.5 teaspoons is for the liquid- is it the same for the powder?
Liquid Sulmet dose is 2 tablespoons per gallon for 3-5 days.

Where did you see 1.5 teaspoons?

-Kathy

So I'm no math wizard but my husband says I gave them 8 times the dose, but that would be based on if they drank 1/2 gallon each which they definitely didn't so I'm not too concerned. There are 7 of them and combined they drank maybe half a gallon...
Quote: If I have done my math correctly, one gallon should contain ~3500 mg sulfamethazine (Sulmet).
One gram of Sulmet powder = 1000 mg sulfamethazine (Sulmet)
One tablespoon of powder probably weighs 8 to 11 grams, so one tablespoon of powder will = 8000 to 11000 mg. Make sense?

-Kathy

Last edited:
2 T = 6 t

Overall I'm not too concerned since they drank way less than half a gallon each and I will just consider it a drench.

And likely it will get this issue under control. I mixed the stock and will give them the correct dose tomorrow and half that for 5 days and follow up with amprol at the preventative dose for a week. Then given there are no more issues will begin rebuilding their immune systems with electrolytes and proboitics and all that goodness. Its annoying thinking something is cured and then having to start all over.

Last edited:
2 T = 6 t

Overall I'm not too concerned since they drank way less than half a gallon each and I will just consider it a drench.

And likely it will get this issue under control. I mixed the stock and will give them the correct dose tomorrow and half that for 5 days and follow up with amprol at the preventative dose for a week. Then given there are no more issues will begin rebuilding their immune systems with electrolytes and proboitics and all that goodness. Its annoying thinking something is cured and then having to start all over.
thumbsup.gif

-Kathy

Regarding the Sulmet stock solution which uses the whole bag.... I wonder how long it's good for once mixed vs making one gallon at a time? Does it have to be kept refrigerated, or can it be stored in a closet? Might be worth calling the mfg and double checking.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom