Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
You have already used albendazole and you just bought ivermectin. Ivermectin is not a good wormer for poultry, but many vets don't know that.

-Kathy
Now i'm following
cool.png

Another one that might be worth looking into is pyrantel pamoate, but I'm not sure how effective a poultry wormer it is. Of course there's also piperazine, but it's only effective on roundworms.

-Kathy

Originally Posted by casportpony

That's ivermectin and the dose per bird is 0.02ml per kg, so a large male peacock would 0.12 ml, but you should know that ivermectin is not a very good wormer for poultry. Many worms are now resistant to it.
sad.png

But if you want to put it in the water, the dose is 0.16ml per liter (40ml divided by 250 liters = 0.16ml)

Kathy- ivermectin is a problem in the US for some because parasites have acquired immunity to it. In Kuwait they very likely haven't. I use ivermectin pour on at 2.5ml per yearling bird on their backs between their wings on the skin and it works great I.E. vet checked fecals. You can use the injectable the same way, but it must be applied to the skin.
The dosage given above sounds really light to me.

Originally Posted by casportpony 

That's ivermectin and the dose per bird is 0.02ml per kg, so a large male peacock would 0.12 ml, but you should know that ivermectin is not a very good wormer for poultry. Many worms are now resistant to it. :(

But if you want to put it in the water, the dose is 0.16ml per liter (40ml divided by 250 liters = 0.16ml)

Kathy- ivermectin is a problem in the US for some because parasites have acquired immunity to it.  In Kuwait they very likely haven't.  I use ivermectin pour on at 2.5ml per yearling bird on their backs between their wings on the skin and it works great I.E. vet checked fecals.  You can use the injectable the same way, but it must be applied to the skin.

Not wanting to argue, and it's possible there is an error in my math, but the recommended dose for 1% ivermectin (10mg/ml) is 0.2mg per kg and the recommended dose for the 0.05% pour on (5mg/ml) is 0.5mg per kg.

Based on the above, 2.5ml of the pour on is enough to treat a 55 pound cow.

Do the math and let me know if I'm wrong.

Studies have shown that it is effective when given in high doses like you have been doing, but you're probably giving 10x the recommended dose. Again, let me know if there is an error in my math.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Kathy- ivermectin is a problem in the US for some because parasites have acquired immunity to it. In Kuwait they very likely haven't. I use ivermectin pour on at 2.5ml per yearling bird on their backs between their wings on the skin and it works great I.E. vet checked fecals. You can use the injectable the same way, but it must be applied to the skin.
Trefoil, keep in mind my all my birds came from US, not sure if this will make any difference here, also 90% of peafowls in Kuwait came from US specially the new colors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom