Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
I would not give them medicine if they are acting perfectly healthy

Ok, thanks for talking me down :) I had it dosed out, locked and loaded. 97% of the time the poop looks great. It's those oddball poops that get me. I have read horror stories about people losing entire batches of chicks and I get nervous. Thanks for the advice
1f643.png

Is the Corid sold for cattle the same as what is used for chicks? I have baby chicks that are 4 days old, all are healthy, active, eating, and drinking. However, it seems to me that their stools are somewhat loose. Not bloody, not frothy, not discolored, all have greenish brown semi-solid portion with small white caps. Every now and then I'll see a brownish puddle with no semi-solid and I'm paranoid it's atypical, but maybe could be Cecal poop?? But, I'm the paranoid type. What will cocci look like in chicks? 16 were vaccinated against cocci, but 6 were not, all were vaccinated against mareks, so even though I know the medicated feed will nullify the vaccine, I opted for the medicated feed to protect the chicks that aren't vaccinated. Should I give Corid just in case? Or will it matter since they're on medicated feed anyway? One chick this morning seemed listless but I think he got chilled because I bumped up the temp from 85 to 95 (I forgot to reset it after cleaning) and now he's just as active as the others. I'm going to give nutri-drench based on recommendation of another user.
Same stuff. Four days old seems a little young to have coccidiosis. D you have a scale? If so, weigh them every every day in the morning and watch for lack of gain or loss.

-Kathy

@casportpony

I tried to get some photos but I didn't see any of the foamy stuff. Most of it looks like this:

But the one I saw today was a little bubbly, not like foam or spit or anything. Sorry I don't have any to take a pic of at the moment.

I'm thinking/ hoping that's all it's just cecal poop. I've been battling pasty butt on a few, nothing major and its getting better. All seem to be eating, drinking and growing exponentially, but I will def get a scale tomorrow. Any certain type that's good for chicks?

@casportpony

I tried to get some photos but I didn't see any of the foamy stuff. Most of it looks like this:

But the one I saw today was a little bubbly, not like foam or spit or anything. Sorry I don't have any to take a pic of at the moment.

I'm thinking/ hoping that's all it's just cecal poop. I've been battling pasty butt on a few, nothing major and its getting better. All seem to be eating, drinking and growing exponentially, but I will def get a scale tomorrow. Any certain type that's good for chicks?
That poop looks pretty normal... Any 0 to 5000 gram kitchen scale will work.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom