UPDATED: *video added* The Chick and The Older Ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aunt Angus, May 25, 2019.

1. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I'm out here in the rain running interference. It appears Zinnia (BPR, top hen) is the main instigator. Aster (Brahma, 2nd hen) will join in. Thinking about putting Zinnia is chicken jail. Maybe see if that'll teach her not to be so agressive.

I'm a little surprised that Poppy (BO, mama) didn't get her settled in the flock to a greater degree. She still sits on her at night and was very protective until about 2 days ago. Mama and baby have been with the flock since day 1. I didn't expect this. But, gosh darnit, I will figure it out.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    good!

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    They're chasing her away but at least not cornering her and attacking, so at least she isn't being injured. Probably a little tough for her because she's the only little one (with multiple chicks, the hens find it hard to chase them all). I agree with not removing the little one since she is trying to integrate in and you don't want to have to redo what's already been done. More obstacles would probably help as long as the run doesn't get too cluttered.

4. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Spent an hour or so in the run with the door closed. I watched their interactions and played "top hen" as needed. I realized the girls get protective of their treats. So I will not give them treats while they are penned.

I also watched from the window for a while to see what transpired while I wasn't present. Things settled down. I think I may be part of the problem, actually. They see me and think treats and pets. They get defensive. Bryony gets run off. Therefore, I will spend less time in the run until things settle down a bit.

And I fenced off a corner with a tiny opening for Bryony to get into if needed. She has separate food/water in there. I also added an insert to the isolation coop under the poop boards that makes the opening too small for the big girls. That gives her several feet of sanctuary. The best thing I did was lean a piece of scrap plywood up against the wall of the run. She seems to like it under there, and the big girls don't bother her. I placed a couple of buckets in there, too, just to break up the open spaces so she could get around the big girls as needed. Seems to have helped.

I will keep an eye on things for a few days. I've decided that as long as she isn't being injured, I will take a "wait and see" approach.

I got only 1 chick expecting mama to integrate her more thoroughly. Live and learn, I suppose.
    :barnie

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, big lesson.
    Good observations and reactions tho.

I almost think it's harder for broody chicks to integrate(after they are weaned) than for chicks integrated without a broody mama. They are so confused when mama kicks them to the curb.(Said with an inner groan as there are chicks hatching under a broody in my coop as I type this:rolleyes:)

ButtonquailGirl14 and Aunt Angus like this.
  6. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    That makes sense. Like spoiled college kids who go nuts once helicopter parents are out of the picture - lol!

Funnily, mama's instincts seemed to have kicked back in today. She's taking no says from the others today.

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Just make sure any hiding spots you give her have more than one exit (so like the plywood leaning against the wall probably has 2 obvious exits) to make sure she doesn't get trapped by the others. Otherwise your observations all sound good so while this may be a more difficult integration, it's also not going too badly.

8. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks. That makes me feel better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: