Updates on my sick golden Laced wyandotte

5lovelyhens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2015
Hey all!

I posted about my golden Laced a couple of days ago. I have some updates of how she's acting and some more questions.

So she's been eating. Not a ton, but she's still interested in food. Still drinking. I've been giving her amoxicillin for 6 days now, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. She can hardly move though. If I pick her up, and set her back down, she falls on her face. It's very hard for her to gain balance and stand up. Her abdomen is very swollen. Her poo smells terrible.

But I'm wondering, could she have had a stroke or something that made her lose balance? Also, she's in a small coop outside and she's getting cold. She seems to give up when she gets cold. Would a heat lamp be too hot for her?

Looking at your other thread and the photos of her and the poop. I agree with @Eggcessive that she is likely suffering from an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-golden-laced-wyandotte.1225228/

Antibiotics can sometimes give short term relief. Does the very swollen abdomen feel like it is fluid filled (can you see yellowish fluid under the skin?) or is it more of a tight bloat/swelling? If she has fluid, some people try draining to give some relief, especially if the hen has difficulty breathing - this again is usually a short term fix, hens eventually succumb to infection or organ failure. Not trying to be blunt, just realistic.

Giving her some warmth won't hurt, but if she is not able to get up by herself and move from the heat, I would be Leary of using a heat lamp. You may want to try something like a 100watt light bulb or heating pad, but you will want to monitor her closely for overheating.

Try to make her as comfortable as you can and encourage her to stay hydrated.

I'm very sorry that she is not doing well. I've had several hens that had reproductive problems, it's heartbreaking. Once they stop eating/drinking and begin show signs of further decline, I put them out of their misery. I also perform an informal necropsy on each one - once you see what is in that swollen abdomen, you will definitely know you did the right thing.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like your hen is in loving hands and you are doing everything possible for her. I agree with Wyorp that it is most likely a reproductive disorder and that there is precious little that can be done in terms of a long term solution.

Sometimes a hen can fight off the infection and they can live a a few months to a year of decent quality, while their bodies find a way to deal with it. If it's internal laying some hens end up walling off the accumulating egg mass effectively for a while. But, in such cases you need to be vigilant to see if quality of life is declining to point where it is kinder to put them down. Or if it is ascites, I've heard of people giving hens relief by draining it periodically.

The thing to keep in mind is that birds are very good at hiding pain and illnesses. If your bird is this visibly sick, she is probably not in a good place. If she doesn't start improving soon, you may want to consider putting her out of her misery. I know it is a very difficult decision. I hope she starts to improve and this isn't necessary. :hugs

Thank you guys for your reply. Personally, I can't put my girls down. No matter what. I do know, or am 99% sure she will be passing soon. She was laying with one leg behind her, one leg under her and has had hee eyes closed all day. I readjusted her to put both her feet under her and yellow liquid came out of her mouth. There's a few wet spots next to her from this yellow liquid also. What is it?

Thank you guys for your reply. Personally, I can't put my girls down. No matter what. I do know, or am 99% sure she will be passing soon. She was laying with one leg behind her, one leg under her and has had hee eyes closed all day. I readjusted her to put both her feet under her and yellow liquid came out of her mouth. There's a few wet spots next to her from this yellow liquid also. What is it?

I'm very sorry, it sounds like she is declining. Do you have a neighbor or family member that can put her down for you if needed?

I can only take a guess as to the yellow liquid coming from her mouth - likely she has a blockage from the swelling in the abdomen which is not allowing fluids/food to move through the body, so they are coming back up.

Yeah, shes not doing well. She's been laying with her eyes closed all day. She only opens them if I physically lift her up, or sometimes just walk in the door. I just dont know if I should force feed her or force water or force medicine, or just leave her alone. She's been staying strong and staying alive, but I think she's giving up. I just don't know if theres anything I can do at this point for her.

I don't think I saw anything about the condition of her crop. Is it emptying properly? Also, when was her last egg? I don't have dosing knowledge myself, but others here do. What amoxicillin does and frequency have you been giving?

10 mg a day I believe. Her crop seemed totally fine to me. Seemed to be emptying properly. The only thing I noticed was the super swollen belly. And very stinky poo. Worse than usual chicken poo. Today she just went downhill. I really don't think she'll make it through the night.

I'm just trying to decide if I should continue meds and force her food and water. Or if I should just let her be comfy.

And also, she hasn't laid an egg since last fall I believe. All my girls stopped for a few months. Just started up again. She may have laid one right before she got sick, but I'm not positive who was laying between my 5.

Back
Top Bottom