Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Pics
Oh dear. :hugsForgive yourself, accidents happen.
I have such a hard time doing that. I just keep thinking of that song by Cher… if I could turn back time… I’d do it all differently.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm crying with you... :-(
I can’t seem to stop crying. I’ve lost animals before and been sad about it but this feels different. I was responsible for him and didn’t care for him the best I could. I’ve had chicks die but having a grown chicken die is way worse.

This is pretty common in these parts.You do have your individuals that complain but,mostly people either ignore them or feed them.
Are these just feral or stray roosters? I wasn’t sure what I was looking at.

I have such a hard time doing that. I just keep thinking of that song by Cher… if I could turn back time… I’d do it all differently.

I can’t seem to stop crying. I’ve lost animals before and been sad about it but this feels different. I was responsible for him and didn’t care for him the best I could. I’ve had chicks die but having a grown chicken die is way worse.

A mixture of both.
Thers also about 8 hens.
The repair shop next door to the gas station feeds them. I'm told there's 4 or 5 generations on that spot. Someone released them there along time ago and the surrounding business owners just feed them.

We had a similar grouchy old man neighbor, only he complained that we accepted too many dogs into our dog boarding facility. He called the police almost daily, and they came out, increasingly irked at the repeated complaint, sometimes just to have a coffee break while watching a field full of frolicking dogs. They'd say they were "counting the legs and dividing by four!" We were never over our permit limit, and finally the police told the old man to stop calling them. His only recourse then would be hire a lawyer, which costs a lot and would get him nowhere. He didn't, of course.
I would cease any dialogue or allowing him to yell at you. Simple tell him (or write a letter telling him) that if you are doing something illegal, he should call the police.

I had a feeling no one would vocalize beating me up. But I know people in my family, my sister and mom, will give me hell if they see me crying. I just wish I didn’t always have to learn things the hard way.
I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I know it's hard because I am the same as you, but please try to go easy on yourself. You have been through so much in the last year and the people that are dragging this particular situation out are making it impossible for you to move forward. You seem like a really nice person and we all are rooting for you! :hugs

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I know it's hard because I am the same as you, but please try to go easy on yourself. You have been through so much in the last year and the people that are dragging this particular situation out are making it impossible for you to move forward. You seem like a really nice person and we all are rooting for you! :hugs
Oh, I'm so, so, so sorry to hear about the unintentional death of your rooster. But your care was not lacking--your motive was to take care of him, to give him your friendship and a good home. The reason you put the collar on him was so you wouldn't have to send him away. Motive is what counts, and it sounds like yours was loving. Human error is inescapable for us all. Even surgeons lose people through a mistake. Grieve, but try not to grieve with guilt--that's the most painful kind of grief.

So my neighbor is a drunk and has been for 30 some odd years. My mom says to ignore him. He has been acting nice to me now but then right after acting mean again. My mom says it’s something called wet brain and has to do with drunkards. Talking to this guy is giving me whiplash. I’m trying to ignore him but he’s trying to make “pleasant” conversation with one minute then biting my head off. 😡 I wish this all didn’t feel so damn crazy.
Apparently, vitamin B1 is used to treat wet brain symptoms. Maybe cook up something for him a couple days a week?

That’s all I want to do is move forward. I want to be able to go back to enjoying my chickens. To not have to worry about the mayor, or anyone, trespassing and spreading lies at the village meetings. I’m just so full of worry and I want it all to be over. I try to be a nice and reasonable person too. But some people just can’t deal with being wrong.
Oh, I'm so, so, so sorry to hear about the unintentional death of your rooster. But your care was not lacking--your motive was to take care of him, to give him your friendship and a good home. The reason you put the collar on him was so you wouldn't have to send him away. Motive is what counts, and it sounds like yours was loving. Human error is inescapable for us all. Even surgeons lose people through a mistake. Grieve, but try not to grieve with guilt--that's the most painful kind of grief.
That was my intention. To be able to keep him and continue to care for him. So he could stay with his girls and be happy. he was my first ever chicken. I hatched him myself. Not knowing anything about chickens or how to hatch eggs… I hatched him. He was special.
I decided to remove the collars from my other roosters though. I don’t want them to get hurt and currently the village can’t take away my roosters. They actually can’t take away my chickens at all. The most they can do, if I don’t comply with the current ordinance, is fine me. The mayor seems to think he can take my chickens away. But the ordinance officer says different.

Thank you all for your kind and caring words. Not just through the loss of Fuzzy but through all of this. I will try my hardest to take your advice since I know many of you are right.
I have also decided to try and hatch out a new Fuzzy. My girls are laying eggs that are fertilized by Fuzzy since my light Brahma has been separated for over three weeks. The only other one I have to worry about is Bop, my silkie. But I’m going to put eggs into my incubator and hope for a Fuzzy son. I have a Fuzzy daughter but would like the boy lineage to continue. My farm, when we moved that is, was going to be Fuzzy Crew Farm. You can’t have a Fuzzy Crew without a Fuzzy after all. I don’t want to replace Fuzzy, just continue his short lived legacy and his name. He couldn’t be replaced anyway. Not really.

Ordinance officer came by today and inspected the new coop and run. He told us to have the chickens down there by next Friday and have a drawn up map showing it’s 300ft from our neighbors. He didn’t even measure and isn’t going to. He does not care. I’m going to take the map of our village from online and print it out. The one that shows all the plot lines. I can do all the measurements on there. Honestly I think I could hand draw it and he wouldn’t give a crap.

I’m also going to wait until Thursday night to move the chickens. This was the bantams only have to be in with the standards for as little as possible. I have another coop I want to move down there for my bantams but can’t let the ordinance officer know. So it has to wait until he has checked everything next week.

Two copies of the petition went out to friends. I asked them to get everyone in the village they know to sign it. I was going to canvas today but of course it’s raining. I am meeting with a neighbor after five to have him sign my copy though.

A dozen eggs went into my incubator. All of them should have been fertilized by Fuzzy. Most of them were from my olive eggers but I did take some from all my girls. Still missing him greatly but not beating myself up as much. My kids keep hoping it’s all a dream. I do too. I wish it was all a dream.

Ordinance officer came by today and inspected the new coop and run. He told us to have the chickens down there by next Friday and have a drawn up map showing it’s 300ft from our neighbors. He didn’t even measure and isn’t going to. He does not care. I’m going to take the map of our village from online and print it out. The one that shows all the plot lines. I can do all the measurements on there. Honestly I think I could hand draw it and he wouldn’t give a crap.

I’m also going to wait until Thursday night to move the chickens. This was the bantams only have to be in with the standards for as little as possible. I have another coop I want to move down there for my bantams but can’t let the ordinance officer know. So it has to wait until he has checked everything next week.

Two copies of the petition went out to friends. I asked them to get everyone in the village they know to sign it. I was going to canvas today but of course it’s raining. I am meeting with a neighbor after five to have him sign my copy though.

A dozen eggs went into my incubator. All of them should have been fertilized by Fuzzy. Most of them were from my olive eggers but I did take some from all my girls. Still missing him greatly but not beating myself up as much. My kids keep hoping it’s all a dream. I do too. I wish it was all a dream.
Good luck. Hope you can keep your chickens and maybe even hatch a new rooster. 😊

Back
Top Bottom