Upping the Starter/Grower protien

HeadHen

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Houston, TX
My local feed store is very urbanized and doesn't carry much for chickens. They only have Purina Sunfresh starter/grower medicated. I know that is a decent feed but from everything I have read on here the chicks do best starting out on 20%+ protein for the first few weeks and the Purina Sunfresh is only 18% protein, since it is also a grower feed.
What can I do to up their protein intake for the first few weeks to give them the best possible start? Should I add some cooked yolk to their food?
jumpy.gif

I think you would be fine just using the feed. Once they are a bit older you can start giving them high protein treats like cooked egg yolks, black oil sunflower seeds, etc.

18% protein is a normal amount and should be enough for all but meat birds. The Nutrena starter is 18%, which is all my feed store has.

You can give cooked egg yolk.

18% is good.

I use the sunfresh for my chicks. When the store is out I use a blue seal starter that is 22% and the turkeys and quail and guinea keets all eat it. My ducks and geese did too.

Quote:
Thank you.
I forgot to mention mine are all going to be layers.
wink.png

Hi Headhen -

I found another feed store in our area that you may want to check out.

If you are near Humble, it is the feed store right on the railroad tracks by Humble Cafe and down from the police station.

Town & Country Feed
102 S Railroad Ave
Humble, Texas
281-446-2440

They have plain Starter and plain Grower. She was out of the Grower, but had 10# bags of starter for $4.00. Both by Lone Star Feed.

I'm not sure of the price of the 25# bag of grower. She was sold out and and I forgot to ask.

When I told her that I had a bag of starter/grower and proceed to tell her I had 6 (11 wk olds) and asked if it was ok to leave them on the starter/grower, she looked at me like I had two heads.

I never got an answer from her... I think she just hot from the heat and didn't want to help a newbie!

I'm sure after I get a few batches of babies under my belt... I'll get a hang of it with this feed thing.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom