Upsetting topic

I’m not sure the exact size of the coop my birds are in but there’s about 23 easter egger hens and 2 roosters and i only have 4 silkies and then the two pairs. i ask more on why they’re wanting me to get rid of them and it’s pretty much because they aren’t producing eggs but it’s the wrong time of year for eggs + molting on top of that and silkies are always broody anyways but we never got them for just eggs they’re pets..
I had 70+ chickens and wasn't even getting 1 egg every day. My chickens are more therapeutic for me, as are all of my animals. I downsized my flock because I never wanted it to get that big, but I would put eggs under my broodies and wa-la, more chickens. I wouldn't worry about them comments, just keep on keeping on with your birds.

Can you take a picture of your coop, please?

Again if you are someone that is living with family, you need to respect their rules because it is their land.

You can have as many chickens as you want to once you own your own property.

When I was younger I always wanted to have a ton of animals, but I lived with my parents and I had to respect their rules. You should always respect your parents or your elders.

Now that I live on my own, I can have any type of animal that I want and no one has to say in it.

i’ll try..it’s raining today so i’ll see what i can do i also plan on moving them to an ever bigger coop i just have to finish letting my 3-5 months old grow up.
also the one telling me to sell them isn’t the one that owns the land or house..
Well then ignore them...

If they aren't someone who's living in your household then I would ignore them.

That is completely not true for some people...

Some people keep chickens for eggs and meat. They consider them livestock.

Other people keep chickens as pets and for enjoyment.

As much as I agree with you and we do keep them as livestock but we still enjoy their company and their antics, some even get named and the odd character kept but then again we are as odd as the animals we keep.:)

The only time I've heard people mention similar sounding advice about selling this or getting rid of them is when finances are involved. Do they think you're spending too much or that you don't have enough to pay your bills because of your pets? When I was younger I was told I had too many dogs (we have between 4-6 at any one time) and needed to be more frugal. Now I'm old and still have a bunch of dogs but I work more now so everybody is well cared for...ok spoiled, but we do without other things in order to support them.

As much as I agree with you and we do keep them as livestock but we still enjoy their company and their antics, some even get named and the odd character kept but then again we are as odd as the animals we keep.:)
I have a layer flock, all of them are named. I have a meat flock, none of them get a name.

I interact with my layer flock a lot. I also interact with our meat flock because right now they're just chicks.

Back
Top Bottom