Urgent! 4week old chick not responsive, puffed up.

Newtochickens1988

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2018
Lost one chick already who was panting and droopy/ unresponsive. Need help with other sick chick - same age! No longer panting but still puffed up and not alert/responsive. Also sounds like she’s wheezing a little bit now. Spoon feeding her water and have her separated. Pic attached.

Attachments

• AD2C5E2E-758F-4E9C-A93A-C12214DF1FCC.jpeg
    AD2C5E2E-758F-4E9C-A93A-C12214DF1FCC.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 37
Do you have a kitchen scale you can weigh her on? If so, the oral drench dose is 0.02 ml per 100 grams. Corid is very safe, so don't worry about giving too much if you can't weigh her. At 4 weeks I'm gonna guess that she could weigh as much as 250 grams, so try giving her a couple of drops every 4-6 hours. It would also be good if you could get some regular water into her.

Last edited:
A common cause of illness in a 4 week old chick is coccidiosis, which can cause runny or bloody poops, lethargy, fluffing up or hunched posture, and no appetite. Corid is best to treat that in the water. Have you been using heat until she feathers out completely?
Did she come from a hatchery or feed store?

Now she won’t drink on her own... So How often should I give her water with my medicine dropper? And how much should I do each time?
Start with a couple of drops or so and then try again in an hour.

@casportpony has instructions for going full strength with the liquid. I would look that up(or wait for Kathy to respond) if the chick does not start drinking in a couple of hours of treatment

Corid is safe even if it is not coccidiosis. Use a cheap thermometer under your heat lamp to make sure that it isn’t too hot. Sick chicks may need more heat, but at her age 75 defrees F is normal. 80 degrees F for sick chicks is good.

Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Look for it in the cattle medicines in a feed store.

Back
Top Bottom