*URGENT*! Baby Bird eggs Found! *IT HATCHED!!!*

Gorgeous nest!! What an interesting project!

I remember reading a paper a while back that listed all kinds of species of birds and what their incubation requirements were. Almost all of them were 99.5 degrees, 21 days, turning for the first 16 days or so and 60+% humidity for the last 3 days. It really struck me how uniform the bird species are!

Good luck!!

pop.gif

Quote:
Okay, that rules out cavity nesters. For eggs that size with that speckling I'd say warblers or sparrows. Was the nest high in the tree? Close to the ground? In pine woods? Edge of a pasture?

Either way, if they hatch you'll need to simulate an insect diet. And feed very, very frequently. They take 2 weeks to hatch and about 3 weeks to fly around and start catching their own food. It's a lot of work. But really cool. I had to save lots of baby birds when I was growing up, we had cats. I'd see them stalking and run up to find a barely fledged baby songbird gaping in the grass. When I could find the nest (and reach it) I'd put it back and keep an eye on it, but some were impossible to return. I raised those and they resumed life in the wild when they got old enough.

Aw thats so neat. I hope they hatch... Well, we found a crack in one. So maybe the other will

hatch. We held it up to the light, and theres developmet in the egg!

Thanks for all the help. I'm not sure where, or how high the tree was.

I think she said it was a pine tree. I'll try and update as often as possible. Could

you answer the rest of my questions?

1.) How often does egg need to be turned daily?

2.) What do I feed the chick if it hatches, and how often? I'm homeschooled, so
if it hatches, and isn't turned over to an 'expert', I'll have no problem hand feeding
it often.

3.) How MUCH do I feed the chick? I've done lots of research on hand feeding baby parrots...Do I
Just wait 'till the crop looks full?

4.) Is 98 F warm enough for the eggs to finish incubating?

5.) Do they need to 'dry off' after hatching like chickens? Or should
they be fed as soon as they are hatched?

Sorry for so many questions. This lil' guy doesn't have a big chance now..I want
to raise the chance of it hatching as much as I can.

Thanks!

Last edited:
!00% Sparrow. One nested in my dad's motor crane years ago. We cleaned it out and found eggs that looked just like that. The nest looks like it used to belong to a Thrasher, but they don't go back to their old nests after a new breeding season starts. Sparrows will make their own nests most of the time, but if they see an old one they like, they'll take it.

Quote:
1. 3 times should be fine.

2. Easiest thing to do is get some suet from the meat department of your local grocery store (ask the meat guy, he'll give you a hunk for free or maybe 50 cents). Melt the suet over low heat in a skillet and pour off the liquid into a bowl. Throw the solid hunks out. After the fat cools some but before it starts hardening, mix yellow cornmeal and some peanut butter into it till it's about the consistency of Play-Doh. Put it in the fridge. A baby songbird needs to feed every two hours while the sun is up. Take a toothpick and get a dab of your cornmeal/suet mix on the tip. Gently jiggle what you've got the baby in, that simulates the parent bird landing on the side of the nest. The baby will lift it's head and open it's beak, pop that little wad of food in there. You can dip it in water right before so it's nice and moist.

3. The baby will accept food till it's no longer hungry; if it stops responding to the jiggles it's had enough and will sleep for a while. You'll need to put something warm over it. Like some lightweight cotton batting with a lamp on over it. That thing will be naked except for some pin feathers and needs lots of supplemental heat. They poop a lot, and it's got a sort of membrane around it so it's easy to pick up, whole. That's how the parents keep the nest clean. Every time they feed they carry the poop away and drop it.

4. 98 degrees should be fine.

5. It will dry off, but it won't have any fluff. Snuggle something warm and soft around and over it, you can make a sort of nest of cotton balls in a little basket or bowl. Keep a heat lamp on it, 95 degrees should be good. When you jiggle the container it's in and it peeps and raises it's head it's ready to eat. Make a little chirping noise when you jiggle, that gets their attention.

Keep us updated! And don't hesitate to e-mail me if you feel like it.

Almost two years ago someone who had bought pullets from me brought me five little naked sparrows whose nest had fallen out of a tree in a sand storm. They were sure the mother had abandoned them (I am sure she was nearby) and they figured that we incubated and raised chicks so we'd know what to do with them.

I was certain they would die, as I had never heard of anyone raising wild baby birds successfully. So I went to pet smart and got the Kaybee "Exact" hand raising formula for song birds. I fed them every few hours for however long it took for them to begin eating on their own. I only got up once in the middle of the night for the first couple of weeks.

They did fine, and are now in a hanging cage where they treat me to lovely songs every afternoon.

Good Luck!

they look like barn swallow eggs to me. ive heard its not hard to raise swallows, its the relesing thats the tricky part. they imprint on you pretty hard, so it can be hard to convince them that there birds.

I cracked the dead egg open to see about how far along they are, and

they are REALLY far along you guys. When I candled, it looked just

like a chicken egg does on day 18. The egg I cracked had a chick with

very visable wings, feet, a beak and eyes. It's body was fully developed,

as far as wings and all go. Can any of you guys figure what day this

chick may have been on? Don't worry, the chick was already 100%

dead before I cracked open the egg. The egg was severly cracked

on one side.
sad.png
poor little guy.
hmm.png

74081_baby_022.jpg