URGENT: chicken near death, how to keep her comfortable

Bluebird11

Hatching
Oct 23, 2023
Accidentally posted this in the wrong place first..
My hen somehow ate a long, sharp stick several weeks ago (I saw but wasn’t able to stop her in time)…. I gave her lots of grit and fed her soft foods in hopes she would somehow grind up the stick and she shocked me with how well she was doing but as of last night has been deteriorating quickly. I can still feel the stick in her throat and I expect there is little I can do for at this point besides keeping her as comfortable as possible. She has stopped eating and drinking and has stayed in one spot all day, very droopy but still occasionally opening her eyes. I have never culled a chicken and am not confident I could do it swiftly and painlessly, and having her euthanized is not an option (I called around to multiple vets, but the only ones we have nearby see exotic birds and charge accordingly). Any advice at all? This is completely new to me and I don’t want her to suffer for days like this. Thanks for any advice

If you still remember the size of the stick you can remove it. There throat is like a latex tube texture that connects to the crop.

Using your fingers feel for the bottom end of the stick. Apply a little pressure and inch it up. Have another person hold the hen's head up and continue pushing the stick up and out.

If the stick is all the way in the crop, then crop surgery is possible to remove it. There are quite a few threads on here where people have done that successfully, if you search for that.

If you still remember the size of the stick you can remove it. There throat is like a latex tube texture that connects to the crop.

Using your fingers feel for the bottom end of the stick. Apply a little pressure and inch it up. Have another person hold the hen's head up and continue pushing the stick up and out.
Wow I had no idea - I assumed trying to remove it wouldn’t be possible without surgery. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom