*URGENT* Ducklings throwing up?

Prinette

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I recently bought 3 Khaki Campbell ducklings three days ago. I believe they are now between 4 and 6 days old but one of my little ones seems to be throwing up her food every time she eats. After eating she will start shaking her head then act like shes swallowing something again. After doing this for several minutes I hear a bubbling sound and she begins shaking her head and soft/partially liquefied food starts to come out of her mouth or her nose, though I'm not sure which. I've only had these little ducklings fr a few days but I don't know what I'd do if this sweet little duckling passed away because she wasn't eating enough or there was a health problem. I'd really appreciate any help or advice with this situation.

EDIT: She seems healthy, she runs around with the other two when they play.

Last edited:
They are eating duck starter three times a day and each time they eat they have water. The one who was throwing up pooped a minute ago and it smelled a lot like their food after it had soured. I don't know if its because she has been drinking too much water when she eats or if she is getting spooked when I pick her up to put her back where it's warm.

I have a guess. Ducklings need food with water 24/7 for the first eight weeks. If they are only getting food three times a day, they are way too hungry, and will overeat till they puke.

Please read the first post here. I would only disagree with one thing. Ducklings need food with water (always with water) till at least 8 weeks old, IMO.

Last edited:
I'll try to come up with a way to keep their temporary indoor home dry and keep water in there with them. That's the only reason I take their water out (though I leave it in there most of the day and only allow them food at certain times) because they spill it everywhere and it gets them and their brooder wet.

Thanks for the advice!

Quick question though, it wouldn't be gapeworms, would it? They haven't gone outside yet (it's cold and wet right now) and they have only come in contact with some other ducklings once.

Last edited:
I got a small little wooden box and put in a bit of mesh so the water would fall through to the bottom and made sure that the food and water was elevated enough to keep them out. It also helpped to stop the little buggers from getting in it!. She seems to be doing better I just have to make sure I don't accidentally spook her and shes just fine.
Thanks for all the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom