*urgent* Egg bound- stomach split open

You absolutely can, as well as other human prescription antibiotics, but I do not know enough about them to recommend one. @azygous had some helpful information for you, I’m hoping she (I think she, someone please correct me if I am wrong), or someone else can provide dosage and assess the need for one. What do you have on hand antibiotic wise?
Have (human) amoxicillin 500mg- just gave her a half mixed with water.

Not sure how often or if dosage is correct- but really appreciate ya @alinas2010- you and the forum have been a tremendous help :)

Looks like she's suffered FlyStrike.

Perhaps she has Salpingitis and is struggling to pass lash material, hard to know.
Calcium and ABX are what can be tried.

Wound care, get rid of the maggots, you are just now seeing them? Soaks and flushing. I'd suspect the maggots are up underneath the skin by now. Soapy water to soak and hopefully kill the maggots.
I'm a huge fan of Chlorhexidine, after soaking/picking off maggots, swab all the areas very well with Chlorhexidine.

Often when flystrike occurs, a hen is in a weakened state due to some underlying condition, but hopefully she'll pull through and heal up o.k.

1716431083183.jpeg

1716431098695.jpeg

Hello- here are additional pictures. Last night no maggots- found 3 today. I picked them out and moved her inside.

Still no egg, and not sure what to try. Been feeding / drinking and some poop, but the egg needs to come out.
Should I push my finger in her vent? Keep trying massage?
Thanks for your reply. - Josh
Looking at the new pictures makes me think that she is not egg bound but suffering from fly strike and the larvae already ate away her skin and entered her abdominal cavity which is very painful and in most cases fatal. I would put her down to end the suffering.

But you have also been given good advice by others so far and hopefully she will be able to pull through.

Hey Team, thanks for all these replies- Update: she is inside covered to keep flies away. Found 2 maggots in the box today even after a thorough cleaning last night.

just learning about fly strikes and I am very worried. She is soaking now, will inspect and take new pictures in 10. Don’t want her to suffer, but if Forum thinks I can save her, will do all I can.
Care schedule
- 3 Epsom baths a day followed by vetrycyn spray and Vaseline pack the wound.
- 500 mg human amoxicillin (1/2 tab) twice a day
- 1 tums crushed per day
- covered with cheesecloth indoors light on timer 12 on 12 off
-electrolyte water and food.

Anything else? She’s my 1 or 2 byc’s really hoping I can help her.

Hey Team, thanks for all these replies- Update: she is inside covered to keep flies away. Found 2 maggots in the box today even after a thorough cleaning last night.

just learning about fly strikes and I am very worried. She is soaking now, will inspect and take new pictures in 10. Don’t want her to suffer, but if Forum thinks I can save her, will do all I can.
Care schedule
- 3 Epsom baths a day followed by vetrycyn spray and Vaseline pack the wound.
- 500 mg human amoxicillin (1/2 tab) twice a day
- 1 tums crushed per day
- covered with cheesecloth indoors light on timer 12 on 12 off
-electrolyte water and food.

Anything else? She’s my 1 or 2 byc’s really hoping I can help her.
I think you’re doing all that you can for her. If she were mine I would keep at it if she was still eating and drinking and trying to fight, but I’ve never had any of mine get fly strike, so I may not be the best person to listen to. You are the best person to determine if she is suffering. I’m sorry about her diagnosis.

Here are some additional pics.
If ya’ll think it is a fatal fly strike I’ll put her down so she won’t suffer.

Either way thanks again to all of you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_7625.jpeg
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7626.jpeg
    IMG_7626.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7623.jpeg
    IMG_7623.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 30
I think you’re doing all that you can for her. If she were mine I would keep at it if she was still eating and drinking and trying to fight, but I’ve never had any of mine get fly strike, so I may not be the best person to listen to. You are the best person to determine if she is suffering. I’m sorry about her diagnosis.
Thank you. She is alert and In good spirit. Seems like she’s a survivor. So hoping for the best 🙏🏼. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom