URGENT.. Eyes pecked out

ssbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
I went out to feed and water my quail.. One of my hens has had her eyes pecked out (They've never had this issue, except for scalping one newbie).. The area is scabbed ofer and doesn't seem to be infected.. I put blue cote on it.. Will she be ok? Should she be culled??? Can she be eaten if she is culled??

HELP please!

I hatched her out almost a year ago.. I'd prefer to save her if it can be done humanely

I guess it would depend if she's getting around OK, eating and drinking, etc. If you are willing to keep her separated from the rest for the rest of her life, if needed. If the others are pecking at her and giving her a hard time.

I had a similar issue but my hen was scalped as well as blinded in one eye. We decided to cull her. She was really in bad shape and suffering terribly.

Take her to a vet. They will soak her scabs open around her eyes then give you some antibiotic that is specially formulated for her eyes. If her eyes are truly gone I would humanely euthanize her. If you don't act soon her eyes will lose function.

If I remember right. You should never use blu Kote on eyes!!! Read the bottle before applying more please... Good luck. Bill

I culled her... It was my gut instinct. Her quality of life wouldn't have been any good. Her crop was empty so I don't think she'd been eating either.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom