URGENT.. Eyes pecked out

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I went out to feed and water my quail.. One of my hens has had her eyes pecked out (They've never had this issue, except for scalping one newbie).. The area is scabbed ofer and doesn't seem to be infected.. I put blue cote on it.. Will she be ok? Should she be culled??? Can she be eaten if she is culled??

HELP please!

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Are you wanting to help her or eat her?

3. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    I hatched her out almost a year ago.. I'd prefer to save her if it can be done humanely

4. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I guess it would depend if she's getting around OK, eating and drinking, etc. If you are willing to keep her separated from the rest for the rest of her life, if needed. If the others are pecking at her and giving her a hard time.

I had a similar issue but my hen was scalped as well as blinded in one eye. We decided to cull her. She was really in bad shape and suffering terribly.

5. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    You could probably save her if you wanted, but I don't think life without eyes sounds that great.

6. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Take her to a vet. They will soak her scabs open around her eyes then give you some antibiotic that is specially formulated for her eyes. If her eyes are truly gone I would humanely euthanize her. If you don't act soon her eyes will lose function.

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    If I remember right. You should never use blu Kote on eyes!!! Read the bottle before applying more please... Good luck. Bill

8. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    I culled her... It was my gut instinct. Her quality of life wouldn't have been any good. Her crop was empty so I don't think she'd been eating either.
    [​IMG]

9. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Quote:FD-Dude, it ain't gonna' be no issue here. This puppy ain't got no eyes to burn with the blu-kote.

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:prolly best, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by