URGENT: Hatching Emergency!

You're on Day 25 if I am doing my math right.

Assuming that picture in the egg is your actual chick, and assuming you are on day 25- it is time to intervene because that chick is as developed as it is going to get and it is now trapped and without an air pocket. So you're going to have to open that membrane and get it some air. It is likely to be hard to get through because even with good humidity that will have dried up and tightened around the chick.

The most important thing at this point- you have to go into this with the full understanding you are trying to help- but that it is highly likely the chick won't make it. Do your best, hope for the best, but understand the likely outcome.

GOOD LUCK! Keep us informed!

You're on Day 25 if I am doing my math right.

Assuming that picture in the egg is your actual chick, and assuming you are on day 25- it is time to intervene because that chick is as developed as it is going to get and it is now trapped and without an air pocket. So you're going to have to open that membrane and get it some air. It is likely to be hard to get through because even with good humidity that will have dried up and tightened around the chick.

The most important thing at this point- you have to go into this with the full understanding you are trying to help- but that it is highly likely the chick won't make it. Do your best, hope for the best, but understand the likely outcome.

GOOD LUCK! Keep us informed!
Does it matter if the membrane is broken anywhere because I can’t see where head or beak is currently.

Does it matter if the membrane is broken anywhere because I can’t see where head or beak is currently.

Again, this is my opinion, but at this point the chick should be fully developed and ready to come out of the egg (again if this is Day 25). Day 21-23 I wouldn't lay a finger on it... but you're at the point now where the chick will expire soon, so you might as well go for it and hope for the best because from that image I can tell you it's not getting out of there on its own.

I don’t think that went too well... I am heartbroken. It turns out his bottom was located at air cell end of egg and when outer membrane tore it started bleeding, must’ve been stuck to inner membrane. I stopped it with cloth, then I slowly chipped away at shell until I found his beak and sure enough he/she had already pipped inner membrane on narrow end. I applied corn starch to bleeding which turns out was connected to the tiniest amount of yolk still out. I tried CPR but I don’t see breathing but still have a heartbeat. I tried my hardest. I don’t know what else to do. I put chick in a shallow cup in upright position back in the incubator.

I don’t think that went too well... I am heartbroken. It turns out his bottom was located at air cell end of egg and when outer membrane tore it started bleeding, must’ve been stuck to inner membrane. I stopped it with cloth, then I slowly chipped away at shell until I found his beak and sure enough he/she had already pipped inner membrane on narrow end. I applied corn starch to bleeding which turns out was connected to the tiniest amount of yolk still out. I tried CPR but I don’t see breathing but still have a heartbeat. I tried my hardest. I don’t know what else to do. I put chick in a shallow cup in upright position back in the incubator.
I'm very sorry for you loss .

I would open up the open end of the egg further, until you have all of the "loose" parts of it off. When it's opened, look for the head (beak) again. If you see it, and it's under the veined membrane, you can break that membrane with tweezers with the most delicate pinch and tug method, trying to only grab ahold of the membrane and not the chick down & bodyparts :D You've oiled the membrane, so you can no longer tell what's 'rubberized', but you can tell where the veining is, so you can determine the best locations to remove membrane. You may need to continue to pinch and pull the membrane off of the chick. If bleeding occurs, stop, and put the chick back into the incubator for about and hour before attempting this procedure again. If at this point he's still thoroughly stuck in the shell, you may consider rolling the shell and squeezing it in your hand firmly (yet gently) to cause the outer shell to crack. Then you can flick these large portions of the shell off of the chick, typically the membrane remains on the chick while you're doing this, that's good, but not the end of the world if it comes off too. Again, if it bleeds blot with toilet tissue to stop the bleeding and put him back into the incubator on some more toilet tissue to sop up the blood, and leave him there for another half hour or hour. Sometimes the chick is finally able to wiggle their way out at this point, just by having a hole big enough to allow it. If not, and if you've finally discovered their beak, rock the beak with your index finger to get their head loosened from their normal 'tucked into the wing' position, once the head is loose, tilt the egg over your hand, with the head dangling rock the egg and allow gravity to help you deliver the baby from the egg. Sometimes a very gentle (never yank the chick from the shell as it's still attached at the umbilical cord) encouraging pull can help gravity feed the chick out of the shell and into your hand. With this method it's common to have the chick STILL attached to the shell. Put chick and attached shell back into incubator for an hour or more. You're hoping the umbilical dries out and/or the chick kicks the shell off of himself. Expect the chick to cry in the incubator, often long and loud... totally normal... he's had a rough entry into the world. If after 2 hours back in the incubator he's still not freed himself from the offending eggshell, take sharp scissors and cut the umbilical cord at the narrowest point midway between shell & chick. Do NOT cut the cord close to the chick. Afterward, put the chick back into the incubator until fully dry and fluffy, then transfer to your warm and waiting brooder.

I will keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Back
Top Bottom