URGENT! Hatching HELP PLEASE!

blondie34

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Grand Rapids, OH
I am trying to hatch Silkie/Jap Bantam crosses and according to my calendar today would be day 17... While candling one of the eggs I started to hear a loud peeping come from inside the egg!

This usually only happens for me around day 20-21 on all of the other chicks I've hatched!

Does this mean it was actually an older egg than I thought? I did not stop turning them since I thought it was day 17 for everyone in the incubator..

Does the fact that the egg has been turned possibly past 18 days mean that the chick will not hatch properly? Or maybe it's just chirping early?!

Please tell me it's not doomed
hmm.png

What can I do to improve chances of hatching at this point??

Your chick is not "doomed" I've hatched chicks while they were in a turner (not recommended) & they come out just fine
Just keep on as you would normally. Tomorrow is day 18, so you could actually stop turning now, but I'd continue.

Last edited:
Your chick is not "doomed" I've hatched chicks while they were in a turner (not recommended) & they come out just fine
Just keep on as you would normally. Tomorrow is day 18, so you could actually stop turning now, but I'd continue.
That makes me feel a lot better, thank you! I though I may have disturbed it while it should've been in lockdown and the little guy would be a goner... I'll keep you posted :) When I chirp at the incubator loud enough the little egg will roll a little bit .. I'm glad I have this week off, I would've never guessed these guys could be early.. I haven't successfully hatched a silkie/jap yet so keep your fingers crossed for me
fl.gif
this is my first experiment with a cross!

I would go into lockdown now. They do not need to be turned anymore. In fact it would be safest to not open the incubator to keep that humidity up. It sounds like you have internal pips. It won't be long before they start pipping. I've noticed small bantams like the seramas I've hatched tend to be a bit earlier.

I would go into lockdown now. They do not need to be turned anymore. In fact it would be safest to not open the incubator to keep that humidity up. It sounds like you have internal pips. It won't be long before they start pipping. I've noticed small bantams like the seramas I've hatched tend to be a bit earlier.
Interesting! The hen is a Japanese Bantam and the father is a Silkie roo so it's in an itty bitty Jap egg! Maybe the cross just doesn't take the full 21 days to hatch..

Incubator is on lockdown and I'm adding water via the ventilation holes to keep the humidity up! Keep your fingers crossed for me!
fl.gif

****just thought I would let everyone know..... the little guy/girl has pipped! the egg is moving around quite a bit and every once and a while I hear some chatter
wee.gif
I'm so excited!!!!

AH! I woke up to what sounded like a bird in the house... and sure enough I have a live (but still wet) chick drunkedly walking around the incubator.. an hour and a half ago it had still just pipped so in that small time frame it zipped and popped out! what a surprise!

She/he (fingers crossed it's a she!) is loud and active, so that's a good sign
jumpy.gif

I'll post some pictures once it fluffs up a little! She has white skin and the normal amount of toes so not many strong Silkie indicators right now (but the silkie was the dad anyway so I wasn't expecting anything really just yet) ... hopefully it grows some cute tufts of silkie fluff on it somewhere when she/he grows up!

I am SO GLAD i didn't have to help the little guy out.. I do not approve of that but I figured all of the mistakes that happened during the incubation period might mean I had a weak/sick chick in there ... I'm feeling very blessed right now
love.gif
what a great start to my morning!

Back
Top Bottom