URGENT HELP My hen just never got better after she layed the egg,what can I do?

Yes, mine was on deaths door, labored breathing, wasn't eating or drinking. I dosed her with calcium and antibiotics, she was back to her old self after four days in the hospital "wing"
There is a vet about 40 min away from my house, it’s closed today and tomorrow so we will take her to the vet on Monday hopefully😊the antibiotics you were prescribed were they for chickens or another animal but chickens could have them?😊

Another update: I just talked to the vet who said that she wouldn’t do any x ray or blood test on the hen, she would only give her some pain meds and that’s it so that is kinda sad

UPDATE: she is still alive, I will go and try to get her eating, she got the pill mabye 9 hours ago so I will wait a bit to give her another but for now I will try and give her some electrolytes to keep her hydrated and try to get some food into her😊
Good news! You can give her a pill every twelve hours ❤️

They go crazy for raw yolk, meat,I cook the meat though, watermelon for hydration and sweetness to boost appetite. I had to force feed a hen for a month last year. I stuffed pellets, grubs and suet into her beak. She finally started eating on her own early January.

There is a vet about 40 min away from my house, it’s closed today and tomorrow so we will take her to the vet on Monday hopefully😊the antibiotics you were prescribed were they for chickens or another animal but chickens could have them?😊
It's called aqua mox, it's a fish antibiotic, it's amoxicillin. You can be use human grade if you have any leftover. It's 250 mg for five to seven days.

Tell us what's in your medicine cabinet?
I a lot of medicine for my dog, don’t know if you could use any of that, I also have pain meds for people. I also have some electrolytes but I mostly have creams for wounds for dogs.
I have also considered taking her to the vet but it will cost about 700$ for some pain meds and she will not even take a look at her so I don’t know if that might be a waste of time and money and just cause some more stress on the hen

I a lot of medicine for my dog, don’t know if you could use any of that, I also have pain meds for people. I also have some electrolytes but I mostly have creams for wounds for dogs.
I have also considered taking her to the vet but it will cost about 700$ for some pain meds and she will not even take a look at her so I don’t know if that might be a waste of time and money and just cause some more stress on the hen
Can you ask the vet for a prescription of amoxicillin equivalent? 250mg capsules. I'm the mean time do you have echinacea? Dried Oregano? Garlic? Cinnamon?

@Firsttimehens1234

Last edited:
Can you ask the vet for a prescription of amoxicillin equivalent? 250mg capsules. I'm the mean time do you have echinacea? Dried Oregano? Garlic? Cinnamon?

@Firsttimehens1234
Hi, I asked the vet for amoxicillin equivalent, she said she couldn’t do it and basically refused to give it to us unfortunately even though it’s a bird vet.
I don’t have the echinacea but I can get some. I do have oregano,garlic and cinnamon😊

Brew the oregano like a tea, strain it and offer it to your hen as her water. If you can get her to eat stuff done cut garlic cloves into her beak like you did into her beak. When you get the echinacea, do the same as the oregano, brew it and once cool, offer as her water
@Firsttimehens1234

Last edited:
Brew the oregano like a tea, strain it and offer it to your hen as her water. If you can get her to eat stuff done cut garlic cloves into her beak like you did into her beak. When you get the echinacea, do the same as the oregano, brew it and once cool, offer as her water
Ok thank you for the help, I will do that, going to a shop now hoping they have echinacea😊

Back
Top Bottom