urgent help, one chicken is dying and the others might follow

sorry for your loss :hugs. try getting a predator proof run [or DIYing one yourself] and some more friends for Lurdette. chickens do bond with their owners and she would be very scared if her friends died and you sent her to some stranger she doesn't know.

After some consideration and a good night of sleep, I am leaning to get something like this.

81ttdfKslyL._SL1500_.jpg

I am thinking of installing some wheels so this is a mobile unit to go along my backyard. I will attach my coop to the steel frame and I am good to go. my wife even mentioned this is good to put a dwarf goat also (which is a long time desire of both), these go along pretty nice with chickens if I am not mistaken.

these two setbacks with both chickens dying really put me down to the point of considering quitting but I really enjoy animals, I know I will suffer from inevitable deaths but I can provide them a good and enjoyable life when they have health.

what do you guys have to say?

I think you may struggle to move it, even with wheels fitted, over anything other than solid ground or a very level well mown lawn, but I think they are an excellent idea for providing a secure penned space. I also think getting a goat is a great idea. You can perhaps let the chicken and goat out into the rest of the garden whilst you are there to supervise them rather than trying to move such a large structure. I would still ensure the hen was locked in a secure coop overnight. I bought a poly tunnel for my chickens for through the winter to give them more covered space and I am loving growing fruit and vegetables in it through the summer. It is a good idea to get some of those corkscrew dog tethers to screw into the ground and tie it down securely as a strong wind can tip over those mesh pens although not as easily as a poly tunnel of course.

Made the purchase, let's wait for it to get delivered. It will take a while though, maybe next Saturday I have it ready.

Meanwhile Lurdete is very sad inside the small co-op, I only let it out a bit in the evening after work so I can look out for her and be sure no more attacks are coming. I noticed today she saw a harmless seagull and went straight to the protection of the coop. She needs to wait now, happy days are coming and with plenty of friends to join the party.

What do you think is the best method to introduce new chickens to Lurdete? How shall I make this? Since Lurdete is the only one who survived is a bit different than introducing a single hen to a pack.

Back
Top Bottom