Urgent Help Please....Baytril 0.5% liquid for sour crop?

3lb = 1 kg, so you should probably give a little less than 2ml. I wouldn't know how many times a day though.

Do you know if she is impacted or blocked? Does the crop go down any at night and is there poop on the drop board in the morning? If she is impacted, your problems are not going to go away. If there is some but not enough, it may be a slow moving crop which is also because of a blockage somewhere. I would empty the sour crop, flush it with water and empty again. A crop tube will be handy in this situation. Then feel if there is any large mass in the crop that may be preventing movement. If she is blocked in the crop, it is sometimes fixable. If the blockage is further down the digestive track, the best you can hope for is if you put enough liquids in her (like extra water, a little olive oil or some lubricant) for a few days, the blockage may move on it's own. If there is a mass in the crop you can try massaging it to break it up. Do this a couple of times a day for a few days. Maybe a little olive oil in the crop when you do this. If its a mass of grass or hay in there, I have found that nothing but surgery will fix that.
A kilogram is equal to 2.2 lb, not 3 lb. So, the chicken should receive 1 ml per pound.

Ok, so back to 2mls per day then.

Is that just one dose per day?

I've given her a small bowl of wet mash with Baytril and a good dose of olive oil mixed in this morning, and then another small bowl of wet mash again late this afternoon. Her poops have firmed up and are a good color. After she ate the first bowl with the olive oil in she did poop some yucky looking stuff so hopefully whatever it is, is starting to pass through.

I love BYC, everyone is always so helpful!
hugs.gif

A kilogram is equal to 2.2 lb, not 3 lb.  So, the chicken should receive 1 ml per pound.

That's interesting. I looked it up on a conversion table online and it said three. Now I need to go double check.

Yep, that's right. I don't know what I did wrong. :/

Last edited:

I've given her a small bowl of wet mash with Baytril and a good dose of olive oil mixed in this morning, and then another small bowl of wet mash again late this afternoon.  Her poops have firmed up and are a good color.  After she ate the first bowl with the olive oil in she did poop some yucky looking stuff so hopefully whatever it is, is starting to pass through.

I love BYC, everyone is always so helpful!  :hugs

If she is pooping then that is good news. It means she is getting food through. I would do the olive oil twice a day for a few days. What you are giving should be enough.
I had a rooster who was injured who I had to put on antibiotics. After a few days of that, he developed the gassy crop. I read that antbiotic use can lead to sour crop because it kills the good bacteria. I think that is why it is always recommended that you feed probiotics after antibiotic use. So, finish up the baytril and then feed probiotics or plain yogurt with live cultures mixed in her food for a few days. Oh, and avoid sweet stuff while treating her. I think a little organic ACV in the water may help too. I think if you search sour crop on here, you will come up with some good remedies to get everything back in order. Hopefully, whatever is slowing your chickens crop down will resolve itself.

I've given her a small bowl of wet mash with Baytril and a good dose of olive oil mixed in this morning, and then another small bowl of wet mash again late this afternoon. Her poops have firmed up and are a good color. After she ate the first bowl with the olive oil in she did poop some yucky looking stuff so hopefully whatever it is, is starting to pass through.

I love BYC, everyone is always so helpful!
hugs.gif
That is a total daily dose. You can give it once a day or split the dose into and give it twice a day.
That's interesting. I looked it up on a conversion table online and it said three. Now I need to go double check.

Yep, that's right. I don't know what I did wrong.
hmm.png
No problem. That's what this forum is for, and we all need to have others re-checking things like our math (especially me, LOL.) Since all medicines are listed in medical books as per Kg, I always just round it off and divide it by two.

If she is pooping then that is good news. It means she is getting food through. I would do the olive oil twice a day for a few days. What you are giving should be enough.
I had a rooster who was injured who I had to put on antibiotics. After a few days of that, he developed the gassy crop. I read that antbiotic use can lead to sour crop because it kills the good bacteria. I think that is why it is always recommended that you feed probiotics after antibiotic use. So, finish up the baytril and then feed probiotics or plain yogurt with live cultures mixed in her food for a few days. Oh, and avoid sweet stuff while treating her. I think a little organic ACV in the water may help too. I think if you search sour crop on here, you will come up with some good remedies to get everything back in order. Hopefully, whatever is slowing your chickens crop down will resolve itself.

Best to steer clear of ACV when dealing with crop issues.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Well, that is interesting. I've read otherwise. That ACV helps control the growth of yeast or fungus which is what I have understood is the cause of a sour crop (one that smells like bread). Then again, I see where others say a high ph level or acidic enviroment encourages yeast growth. Seems like their is a difference of opinion on this. How confusing. :/

Well, that is interesting. I've read otherwise. That ACV helps control the growth of yeast or fungus which is what I have understood is the cause of a sour crop (one that smells like bread). Then again, I see where others say a high ph level or acidic enviroment encourages yeast growth. Seems like their is a difference of opinion on this. How confusing. :/

I would imagine that in the case of blockage that the ACV would sit in the crop and just cause more misery to the bird. Yes it is sometimes very confusing , there is so much information out there.

Back
Top Bottom