Urgent Help Please....Baytril 0.5% liquid for sour crop?

Why would you use antibiotics for a sour or even impacted crop? In my experience, the use of antibiotics can sometimes lead to a sour crop. It is yeast you would be dealing with, not bacteria.

You are correct, but many use it, and some vets will prescribe it even with the ban.  I haven't used it myself.  She is in Thailand, though.

Yes you can still get here too but I wouldn't use it to be honest. As the previous poster said , I'm not sure of its application here. I am already VRE so I can't afford to be eating eggs that are going to knock out other valuable antibiotics.

Why would you use antibiotics for a sour or even impacted crop? In my experience, the use of antibiotics can sometimes lead to a sour crop. It is yeast you would be dealing with, not bacteria.
Sour crop can also be bacterial, as well as fungal. It is also difficult to successfully treat.
Yes you can still get here too but I wouldn't use it to be honest. As the previous poster said , I'm not sure of its application here. I am already VRE so I can't afford to be eating eggs that are going to knock out other valuable antibiotics.
I didn't recommend Baytril, just looking up a dosage. I don't use many drugs on my chickens.

She weighs 2lbs, so just given her 2mls.  Is that once or twice a day?

3lb = 1 kg, so you should probably give a little less than 2ml. I wouldn't know how many times a day though.

Do you know if she is impacted or blocked? Does the crop go down any at night and is there poop on the drop board in the morning? If she is impacted, your problems are not going to go away. If there is some but not enough, it may be a slow moving crop which is also because of a blockage somewhere. I would empty the sour crop, flush it with water and empty again. A crop tube will be handy in this situation. Then feel if there is any large mass in the crop that may be preventing movement. If she is blocked in the crop, it is sometimes fixable. If the blockage is further down the digestive track, the best you can hope for is if you put enough liquids in her (like extra water, a little olive oil or some lubricant) for a few days, the blockage may move on it's own. If there is a mass in the crop you can try massaging it to break it up. Do this a couple of times a day for a few days. Maybe a little olive oil in the crop when you do this. If its a mass of grass or hay in there, I have found that nothing but surgery will fix that.

Thank you MrsBachbach. So good having others watching over my shoulder and correcting my thinking on dosage etc!
big_smile.png

I think I'll go with one dosing per day but from now on (3rd dose in) will only give her 1.75mls.

I think she may have a blockage rather than being impacted. As far as sour crop goes, she has been bringing up gunk when I've made her vomit and there has been a few blades of grass in that. However, it has never had the smell that I've been reading about.

The crop does go down some overnight, however by morning it definitely isn't empty. It feels kinda gassy. She is voraciously hungry and almost attacks me when I feed her. There are lots of poops so obviously something is getting through. Honestly, if it wasn't for her gassy crop you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with her at all. She's bright eyed, extremely active, vocal, and just busting to get out of her cage.

I have vomited her several times over the last week and emptied the crop as best as I can. That was nerve-wracking enough as the first time I did it she suddenly lost all color in her comb and wattles and I thought for a moment I'd lost her. I'd rather not try a crop tube if I can help it. She did develop a rattle and wheezing immediately after I emptied her crop, so I'd obviously caused her to aspirate. I then put her on a course of antibiotics that very day and by the next morning she was back to normal with no wheezing/rattles.

Initially, she was doing the 'snake neck' thing which is what alerted me to the fact that she had a problem. She has since done it again once or twice only, about 4 days ago.

I have been massaging her crop as often as I can but can't feel any solid mass in there.

I will continue with the Baytril that I have now started, but will also start giving her some olive oil as you suggest. Would 2mls be enough? Too much? And how many times per day?

Again, thanks for everyone's help. This is my first experience of this kind of problem and I really do appreciate all the help I can get.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom