URGENT!! Hen is bleeding from vent

Nov 4, 2021
Hi, I'm new to BYC..
This morning our hen wouldn't come out of her run and wasn't eating or drinking. We took her in to have a look at her and found she has a huge black blood clot at her vent. When I tried to dislodge it so it wasn't blocking her vent and preventing her from passing droppings, it started dripping watery blood. It smells like an infection. I can't see a cut on the outside so is it possible she could be bleeding or infected internally? She hasn't been laying recently and has just finished being broody, so I don't think it's to do with an egg. She's almost 5 years old and a very small hen - I'm afraid if I pick off the clot she'll bleed out. Any ideas what we should do?? 😕🤔

You should separate her from the others.
Start with a warm water/epsom (1 TBSP) soak for her rear end.
Pat gently dry with a towel.
Take a before & after pic.
Put 1TBSP apple cider vinegar (with the mother load) in 1 Liter water for her.

Give her some electrolytes & calcium (in water before you give the apple cider vinegar water. You should be able to get those at a local feed store. If not, use human stuff, dilute appropriately to weight of chicken.

While at the feed store pick up penicillin (injectable) and some syringes & needles.
Also some anti fungal topical cream/gel or get monistat cream in the drugstore.

Clean her bedding every day and look at it for clues of what is going on. Several times a day, look.

If it smells foul she has an infection (fungal or bacterial)

She may also have a stress ulcer. It happens. You can treat her for ulcers without any harm.

You must figure out if she has VG (vent gleet) or other infection.

Also check if she is egg bound. If she is laying eggs she is probably not bound.

Good luck and keep us posted.

This is not medical or veterinary advice and should not be taken as such. I am not a veterinarian nor am I licensed to care for animals. If you try anything on this post you do so at your own risk with your own livestock.

You should separate her from the others.
Start with a warm water/epsom (1 TBSP) soak for her rear end.
Pat gently dry with a towel.
Take a before & after pic.
Put 1TBSP apple cider vinegar (with the mother load) in 1 Liter water for her.

Give her some electrolytes & calcium (in water before you give the apple cider vinegar water. You should be able to get those at a local feed store. If not, use human stuff, dilute appropriately to weight of chicken.

While at the feed store pick up penicillin (injectable) and some syringes & needles.
Also some anti fungal topical cream/gel or get monistat cream in the drugstore.

Clean her bedding every day and look at it for clues of what is going on. Several times a day, look.

If it smells foul she has an infection (fungal or bacterial)

She may also have a stress ulcer. It happens. You can treat her for ulcers without any harm.

You must figure out if she has VG (vent gleet) or other infection.

Also check if she is egg bound. If she is laying eggs she is probably not bound.

Good luck and keep us posted.

This is not medical or veterinary advice and should not be taken as such. I am not a veterinarian nor am I licensed to care for animals. If you try anything on this post you do so at your own risk with your own livestock.
Thanks so much for your help, but unfortunately she was much worse when we got back from work so we took her to the vet and made the tough decision to put her to sleep. Vet says it was some sort of hemorrhal diarrhea which could've been caused by countless different things. Again, thanks for your support, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. RIP Lulu 😔

Thanks so much for your help, but unfortunately she was much worse when we got back from work so we took her to the vet and made the tough decision to put her to sleep. Vet says it was some sort of hemorrhal diarrhea which could've been caused by countless different things. Again, thanks for your support, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. RIP Lulu 😔
I am sorry for your loss. Often these things happen quickly with our girls.🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom