Urgent!! Hen recovering from sour crop had sudden crash

W Chickens

Hatching
Jun 5, 2020
Over the past few days, my favorite hen, an amberlink named Mustard, ended up sick with sour crop. Thanks to COVID-19, my family cannot take her to the vet at the moment, although we normally would be able to. Although she was lethargic, she still drank lots of water and was generally still pretty feisty. I looked on here and a few other sources and read that giving monistat can help, so the day after we noticed she had it we got some and started dosing her- 1/3 of a suppository twice a day, given with yogurt to help her swallow it and get some nutrients. If her crop was overly distened we would vomit her- although we only did this once a day for only a few days, and she never seemed to aspirate any. No coughing or sputtering. Soon, she seemed to be recovering- although she wouldn't eat her feed, and was still lethargic, she started eating worms and bugs she found and nibbled at grass, and her crop was no longer balloony. Throughout all of this she would drink plenty of water on her own.

Yesterday some things were a bit worrying- she wouldn't nibble at the grass anymore, and wouldn't even eat worms. She still drank plenty of water.

Today is her seventh day on the monistat, and she's absolutely terrible. Her comb and wattles are a gross pale color, she's not eating or drinking, she didn't fight us, and she just sat down and didn't move much. I'm really, really worried about her and I REALLY don't want her to die as she's my absolute favorite hen in the flock.

What should I do??? She can't be taken to the vet right now, and I have no idea what's going on. Her crop isn't hard, so I don't think she has an impaction too.

She died. I just went out to bring her inside and she was dead. Its only been about ten minutes or so from when we went and dosed her. I'm absolutely heartbroken, my poor baby birdie is dead

Back
Top Bottom