URGENT! Ice Storm coming= POWER LOSS.......WITH BROODER FULL OF CHICKS!

Those flakes are fine and just what I use too. I'd say your non cold hardy breeds have been a little spoiled by the heat source but I think they will do alright with warm bedding and huddling with one another during this brief time.

ok! ill bring my brooder down some more. I have realized the lamp is turning off more oftin....it only goes on a few times a day. I will bring them down from 60 to about 50. thanks!

I think I will turn them out once their new coop is done. It just need nest boxes, paint, a rood and chicken wire. I need to finish this soon!

WOW! I had my other chickens in the brooder for like a month and a half.....with still little heat. well, now I have learned and will bring it down more quickly.
They can cuddle up together and generate enough heat to keep warm now. :) No matter how old they get, my silkies always sleep this way.

Those flakes are fine and just what I use too. I'd say your non cold hardy breeds have been a little spoiled by the heat source but I think they will do alright with warm bedding and huddling with one another during this brief time.
If heat is provided, darn right they will go for it lol. I just added 37 day old chicks in with those 4 week old silkies and gave the babies a big 50 chick EcoGlow. The big 4 week olds still squish under it because it's cosy.. Who can blame them? They aren't going to die without it, but it feels good.. I won't die if I dress up in a snowsuit and go outside with the dogs, but I'd sure rather be by a fire.

I shared this picture on a different thread. These are my 7 week olds being put into the unheated coop last winter on February 28th.

I had them acclimated 2 weeks earlier by having the windows open in the basement.

They can cuddle up together and generate enough heat to keep warm now. :) No matter how old they get, my silkies always sleep this way.

If heat is provided, darn right they will go for it lol. I just added 37 day old chicks in with those 4 week old silkies and gave the babies a big 50 chick EcoGlow. The big 4 week olds still squish under it because it's cosy.. Who can blame them? They aren't going to die without it, but it feels good.. I won't die if I dress up in a snowsuit and go outside with the dogs, but I'd sure rather be by a fire.

I shared this picture on a different thread. These are my 7 week olds being put into the unheated coop last winter on February 28th.

I had them acclimated 2 weeks earlier by having the windows open in the basement.

thanks! AND! IS THAT A BARRED NAKED NECK?!?!?!? I must see pictures of it grown up! I want one!

So...how was the snow storm? Did you lose power?
pop.gif

So...how was the snow storm? Did you lose power?
pop.gif

lost power twice......all night rained and in the morning was crystal wonderland! LOL first time we lost power for about 5 minutes, second time 15 minutes......nothing as bad as what I had expected.....hopefully from now on no more ice!!!

thanks guys for all your help!

~Bantambury

Back
Top Bottom