URGENT limping chicken

Belovedturkey

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2024
This is a repost because my last post was a mess. I have a one and a half year old chicken who has started limping, she was fine this morning but had a limp when I got home. The only things I noticed amiss were a long lump above her tail and a red splotch on her skin between her legs. Are these a problem or related to the limping?
IMG_7189.jpeg
IMG_7188.jpeg
IMG_7184.jpeg
IMG_7183.jpeg
When I found out she was limping I gave her an Epsom salt soak because I figured it couldn’t hurt. This is how she was limping before:
and this is how she was limping after
. I’ve already checked for bloating bumble foot and crop problems which she doesn’t have. She eats drinks and lays normally, and still has interest in digging in the dirt with her beak. Does anyone know what I can do

Welcome to BYC. Could your chicken have injured herself jumping off a roost, or could she have been hurt by a rooster? How long has she been limping? The long thing on the back is normal, and it is the preen or oil gland. Her breast and belly area look irritated possibly from sleeping on the ground, or on a rough roost. Where has she been sleeping or resting? I would make sure the bedding is dry and clean. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? You may want to confine her to a wire dog crate with bedding, food and water for a few days, and then see if she is walking better. I would try some human B complex vitamins which may make her feel better. Is she getting enough food and water?

Welcome to BYC. Could your chicken have injured herself jumping off a roost, or could she have been hurt by a rooster? How long has she been limping? The long thing on the back is normal, and it is the preen or oil gland. Her breast and belly area look irritated possibly from sleeping on the ground, or on a rough roost. Where has she been sleeping or resting? I would make sure the bedding is dry and clean. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? You may want to confine her to a wire dog crate with bedding, food and water for a few days, and then see if she is walking better. I would try some human B complex vitamins which may make her feel better. Is she getting enough food and water?
She has been sleeping on top of the trash can I keep their food in lately, it is possible she tripped jumping off that, a roost or a nesting box. I will get her a kennel and test her daily, and give her the vitamins. Thank you for the feed back and I will change the coops bedding let me know if there’s any other details needed or help you can give me. And we don’t keep roosters so she could not have been hurt by one

Back
Top Bottom