Urgent Question

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
Eggs went into lockdown today. This morning I cut a nonslip mat for the inside and removed the turner. I came back roughly 2-3 hours later just to check humidity and such….noticed one of the eggs that has a very developed chick in has a honey/amber sticky substance on the side that wasn’t there before. Is this normal or not? It truly wasn’t there when I moved all the eggs back on the nonslip mat this morning but it also doesn’t look like the chick is attempting to get out either, no obvious cracks or pips. Thoughts?

Thoughts on the yellow/amber substance? Should I take that one out or leave it? Getting conflicting information on if it’s a sign of being bad or not.
I would say it generally is a sign of the egg being bad.

You might try sniffing the egg, and candling it again.
If the egg smells bad, it is most likely rotten, and you should take it out of the incubator.

If the egg smells normal, and candling shows a chick that looks fine, then maybe leave the egg in the incubator (especially if you see the chick moving.)

You don't want a rotten egg exploding inside the incubator. But an egg with a live chick should not be that rotten (because the bacteria would have killed the chick.)

Photo would be nice though
I would say it generally is a sign of the egg being bad.

You might try sniffing the egg, and candling it again.
If the egg smells bad, it is most likely rotten, and you should take it out of the incubator.

If the egg smells normal, and candling shows a chick that looks fine, then maybe leave the egg in the incubator (especially if you see the chick moving.)

You don't want a rotten egg exploding inside the incubator. But an egg with a live chick should not be that rotten (because the bacteria would have killed the chick.)
I made a decision and just threw it out. It did have a smell to it that others didn’t. Didn’t see the chick moving anymore. Didn’t want to risk it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom