Urgent - Red Mites - Leaving Grand baby - Bullying

Disecky

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
BerkshireCounty Western MA
PLEASE HELP PLEASE

Our daughter is past her due date for our first grandchild,
we are about to leave any minute, they live 8 hrs away.
Of course sh$t is hitting the fan. Work emergencies going on too.
We live in Western MA, super cold one day 60 yesterday.

I have a 9 month Mille Fleur Satin Silky I hatched last spring, she started going broody about 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to break this, but the other flock members are picking on her — even the rooster — 1 girl drew blood, this bully flew up and attacked her in my arms. I am wondering if she is sick and was just not showing signs.

I have been keeping her in a separate dog crate in the run during the day and on the roost in a small crate at night. At times letting her out for supervised visits, many are fine with her, I tried locking the most aggressive attacker/s in the crate while she was out.

She eats, drinks, dust bathes, walks around but then tries to goes back to nest box, or gets attacked and runs to nest box. I usually do broody breaker but I knew we would be leaving soon so I went this route instead. I was hoping this would all get settled before we had to leave but thats not happening now.

She seemed fine health wise but Sunday I noticed she had start of mite eggs on top of her head.
I treated the entire flock with Eprinex, 3 drops on each birds neck. 4 on rooster.
I did a dusting of Saturday lime in coop nest boxes.
I know I needed to do a full strip and clean but time did not permit. I am about to clean/treat coop/run now.

Last night she slept on one of the roosts with a couple of the other girls, this morning lots of her feathers around and she was hiding in the nest box.
I picked her up to check her and she has red mites on her head.
She eats, drinks, good weight, big broody poops.
I just moved her to the garage in hospital pen but I am not sure what to do now.

Should I treat her with something else, it's been 4 days since the Eprinex, I don't want to over treat her.
Dust her with DE? Just to help with the Eprinex?
Treat her with something else?
Bath her in something, Dawn?

Also should I keep her separate in the garage while we are away now and deal with re-entry when we get back? I can put heat on in the garage keep it at 40 degrees.

I will go check the rest of the flock/coop again for signs of mites, they looked fine 2 days ago. I will check tonight too.
I have had fowl mites before, but looks like I have red mites now. I have a microscope and can confirm for sure.
I am just hoping she does not go into labor so I can get this sorted out.

Should I use Permethrin or Elector psp for the coop and run?

I have a chicken sitter and I 99 percent sure we will be gone when I need to retreat next Wednesday.
(10 days). We are on baby time now.

I could really use some advice
thank you so much

Liseann

Roosters will attack broody hens. As far as the mites go I would dust both the chickens and the coop with Permethrin. I have not used Eprinex, but from those I know who have, it doesn't seem to always work. If no one is around definitely just separate her or she will most likely be severely injured or dead by the time you get back.

Roosters will attack broody hens. As far as the mites go I would dust both the chickens and the coop with Permethrin. I have not used Eprinex, but from those I know who have, it doesn't seem to always work. If no one is around definitely just separate her or she will most likely be severely injured or dead by the time you get back.
This is not too much chemical, I just treated entire flock with Eprinex Sunday night. (4 days ago)

Permethrin is good to use in the coop for treatment (coop, nests, roosts) as well as the more expensive Elector PSP. Permethrin garden dust or the permethrin spray is good for the chicken’s treatment and can be used in 7 days intervals to get the newly hatched mites before they reproduce. Eprinex or Ivermectin is repeated in 14 days. Dosage is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight placed on the back of the neck over the spine. Mites are said to be very hard to control, and they can cause severe anemia and death. It is hard to know if you should use something else this soon since you have already used ivermectin. But I would be tempted to dust her with permethrin if they are still on her. Do the chickens have a spot to dust bathe in? You might want to check with your vet in case they want to suggest something else, such as a spot on treatment. Most chemicals p, such as ivermectin can enter the eggs, so egg withdrawal time is a concern.

Permethrin is good to use in the coop for treatment (coop, nests, roosts) as well as the more expensive Elector PSP. Permethrin garden dust or the permethrin spray is good for the chicken’s treatment and can be used in 7 days intervals to get the newly hatched mites before they reproduce. Eprinex or Ivermectin is repeated in 14 days. Dosage is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight placed on the back of the neck. Mites are said to be very hard to control, and they can cause severe anemia and death. It is hard to know if you should use something else this soon since you have already used ivermectin. But I would be tempted to dust her with permethrin if they are still on her. Do the chickens have a spot to dust bathe in? You might want to check with your vet in case they want to suggest something else, such as a spot on treatment. Most chemicals p, such as ivermectin can enter the eggs, so egg withdrawal time is a concern.
Thank you so much! I have both Elector and Permethrin, I used Elector before so I am going to switch it up and try my Permethrin. My birds are all small, I will weigh them so I am sure about dosage. I read .25 ml for bantams. I am going to use something on her, and wait for the rest of the birds for as long as I can.

My birds have multiple dust bathing areas, 1/4 of covered run has raised dust bath. I keep up on this. Fill garbage cans of sand, peat moss, small amounts of Saturday lime and PDZ. Super small amounts of DE.

I will reach out to my vet, but its hard to get help plus I know we are going to be leaving any minute now.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to read and respond to me!

I tried ivomec pour on for NFM and it did not seem to be effective at all.
Thank you, I am 99% sure these are the red mites, I have treated NFM in the past with elector PSP and had success. I am afraid to spray birds in extreme cold.
I lost a bird in late fall early winter. I think in the end it was mites, I sent samples off to be tested and the only thing that came back was red mites.

Thank you for your advice
Liseann

mix as directed and spray EVERYTHING, under everything , behind everything, next box, roost bars, ground, walls ceiling, birds... oh yea winter, its 70* here today. light spray under each wing should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom