urgent--stray chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Niss, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    When I got home tonight my broody had only taken 3 of 4 chicks inside. @ 9:30pm I found the missing chick, unresponsive but alive under the coop. I put it under mama, who readily accepted it. Was that the right thing to do? Pleade advise!

2. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Oh, poor chickie! If the hen accepted it, that's what I would have done too. Getting it warm would be top priority. Now if she started pecking at it, I'd use a heating pad or nestle it in my shirt. I have a feeling, though, that the chick may have been left behind because there was something wrong with it, and the mom had to look out for the rest of her brood. Good luck to you and your chick.

3. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks LisaAnn. Mom tucked it under right away, so hopeful it will warm up and be ok.

4. LisaAnnW

Jul 31, 2011
    I bet momma was relieved to see her poor baby! Maybe some Sav-A-Chick (vitamin/electrolyte) mixed into the drinking water would be good idea. Keep us posted, please.

Quote:

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Oh please update us tomorrow! I hope the baby chick lives.

6. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    It didn't [​IMG] The chick was under mom when I headed to bed, but this am mom and the other 3 were up and moving and it was still in the nest. I don't know why it was left behind, so I don't know if getting home sooner could have saved it or not.

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes the moms just know when something isn't right. Poor baby chick!

8. LisaAnnW

Jul 31, 2011
    Awww...it's always hard losing a chick. So sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by