urgent--stray chick

Niss

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
When I got home tonight my broody had only taken 3 of 4 chicks inside. @ 9:30pm I found the missing chick, unresponsive but alive under the coop. I put it under mama, who readily accepted it. Was that the right thing to do? Pleade advise!

Oh, poor chickie! If the hen accepted it, that's what I would have done too. Getting it warm would be top priority. Now if she started pecking at it, I'd use a heating pad or nestle it in my shirt. I have a feeling, though, that the chick may have been left behind because there was something wrong with it, and the mom had to look out for the rest of her brood. Good luck to you and your chick.

Thanks LisaAnn. Mom tucked it under right away, so hopeful it will warm up and be ok.

I bet momma was relieved to see her poor baby! Maybe some Sav-A-Chick (vitamin/electrolyte) mixed into the drinking water would be good idea. Keep us posted, please.

Quote:

It didn't
sad.png
The chick was under mom when I headed to bed, but this am mom and the other 3 were up and moving and it was still in the nest. I don't know why it was left behind, so I don't know if getting home sooner could have saved it or not.

Back
Top Bottom