Urinary calculy suspected in 7-month old wether. What do I do???

Quote:
That is good news that he is able to get at least some out - means you have probably caught it early enough for treatment to be successful. It also means that he will probably be okay and not rupture the bladder until you can get him to the vet tomorrow - I'm in Australia, and I dont know the time difference thing, how many hours is it till you can get him to the vet?

I found out that my own vet, who does not deal with goats (or sheep), is open tomorrow morning, and I plan to grab my little boy and go over there first thing. I will throw myself in front of the man, and beg him to try his best.

Thats what I'd do in this situation. I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping all turns out well
big_smile.png

Let us know how it goes.​

Quote:
That is good news that he is able to get at least some out - means you have probably caught it early enough for treatment to be successful. It also means that he will probably be okay and not rupture the bladder until you can get him to the vet tomorrow - I'm in Australia, and I dont know the time difference thing, how many hours is it till you can get him to the vet?

I found out that my own vet, who does not deal with goats (or sheep), is open tomorrow morning, and I plan to grab my little boy and go over there first thing. I will throw myself in front of the man, and beg him to try his best.

Thats what I'd do in this situation. I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping all turns out well
big_smile.png

Let us know how it goes.​

Thanks for the well-wishes! It is now late evening (11:14 pm), and our vet opens up at 8:30 am. I sure hope he'll be okay until then. I just went out there again, and noticed that he has separated himself from his mom and sister (they usually all sleep together in the goat house). He is by himself, outside. Earlier, he was standing on his play bench, and acted like he couldn't lay down (just stood there and let the pee run out of him, for 2 hours, off and on). I'm not even sure it's UC, that's just my best guess at this point.

It's most likely UC and you need to help him ASAP. Do you not have an emergency clinic anywhere in the area? There is pretty much always an emergency vet around...and if they don't see goats they should be able to tell you who DOES. He may make until the morning, but he may not. If the UC gets lodged worse and he can't pass any urine he could rupture his bladder or become uremic...both of which will ultimately lead to death w/o MAJOR medical/surgical treatment. I know it seems like he can make it, but if he's already depressed that is NOT a good sign whether or not he's passing small amounts of urine.

There's always a chance that he wont make it till morning. nothing with livestock is for sure. I'm just saying that, the way it sounds, he is still managing to pass some urine, that will keep his bladder from rupturing and he should make it till morning to see the vet.

Is he still drinking?

If he's not, its actually a good thing. Means his bladder wont fill up too much.

I have a doe here who hasnt been able to pee properly for 5 days now. She gets a small trickle out each time she tries, and she's not much water at all, and her bladder hasnt ruptured. (Not UC but essentially a similar problem).

I am hoping everything works out for your little guy. What a painful experience for you both. :-(

I don't know if this will help you or not in the future. Years (and years) ago when I had goats as a 4H project, the breeder had me put a splash of white vinegar in the boys' water to help prevent UC. Once he's better, you may try that.
Best wishes to you and your little goat!

ammonium chloride in the feed or as a loose mineral/lick block works much better than vinegar to prevent UC

however, vinegar is good for other health aspects too and it certainly doesnt hurt to give it to them

Update: I went to check on him at 6:30 this morning, and he was horsing around with his sister, playing King-of-the-hill, and chasing each other. Then, he snuggled up with mom and sis, and started chewing his cud. Huhhhh? Have not seen him urinate yet, but how can this be (last night he was all by himself, staying away from them, and not moving much).
I will still take him to my vet this morning, but am wondering, how he could have had an improvement through the night...?
I'm very grateful, though, because I was mortified to go out there this morning, and find him worse off than last night...
smile.png
P.S.: I do have them on a loose goat mineral (Golden Blend). I thought it had Ammonium Chloride in it, but if it does not, I will switch all three to a medicated goat feed, which contains it. I'm a bit worried about top-dressing with the AC, due to the potential toxicity. I heard that the vinegar in the water was an old wives tale, but will try it anyway (with ACV). I've always put it in my chickens' water, and don't know why I hesitated to give it to the goats. Wish me luck at the Vet's!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom